1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1 deer cape lutanf enough?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by tobey522, Oct 26, 2011.

1. In the VanDykes catalog, they sell Lutan F by like 1 deer cape, 2-3, etc. ....would enough Lutan F for 1 deer cape be enough for 2 coyotes? :)

2. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I would imagine it would be sold on a "per pound of skin" basis. Our deer skins here are typically around 8-9 pounds, which I add 8-9 oz of tan. Maybe see if you can see how much your kit has in oz and go from there!
    Good luck

3. It's probably a kit and doesn't include that info in the directions.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

This is on their site. I believe it's what comes with the kits.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Hide-Tanning-W48C2413.aspx

5. ok Thank you guys! ;D

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I know the directions say to neutralize after pickling and before tanning and some swear that's the way to do it but I followed Oldshaver's advice and went straight from the pickle to the tan without neutralizing and waited till it was time to take the skin out of the tan to neutralize and I got a better tan. The skin was white as a sheet and had more stretch so that's how I will be doing it for now on.

7. Thats the way paratan works too.

8. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

J Brown, do you mean that when using paratan it will be better to go straight from the pickle to the tan and then neutralize with baking soda right in the tan the next morning. or pull the hide and put it in a dedicated neutralization bath?

thanks

kirby

9. Yes Kirby straight from the pickle to the tan and neutralize in the tan. Add 1 oz of baking soda and mix well, pH should be 4. Wait 45 mins and check pH. should still be at 4. Add 1 oz of baking soda and mix well, pH should be at 5. Wait another 45 mins and check pH. Should be stable at 5. Take the cape out and give it a quick rinse. Let it drain or roll it up in a towel to dry excess moisture and apply oil. What tanning oil do you have?

10. And that's what it wld be for lutan f too? Also, should stop rot be applied before AND after tanning or just before while skinning? ps. Thank you RedWolf for bringing that up! I am def. going to try it that way! :)

11. Stop rot won't do anything for you during tanning except waste it. Use stoprot on raw skins only. I don't use it unless I have to. Ask Redwolf how he neutralize.

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Straight from pickle to tanning bath. Next day, slowly bring up the pH of the tan bath up to 4.5 to 5.0 with baking soda. Wait 30 minutes after you reach your final pH, then pull the skin. Quickly rinse and drain. Then oil.

13. Great! Thank you, and I found out that the lutan f kit is a 1 lb kit...so that should do 2 yotes each being 8 oz...makes 16 oz, which 1lb. correct? lol

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yup.

15. If you are going to be doing alot of tanning the chemicals are much cheaper in bulk.

16. As of right now, I don't really have enough to do to order a whole bunch, although I do have a deer head to do after the coyotes. lol, maybe I should go with the 2-3 cape kit? lol I'm hoping we'll be getting more deer these seasons lol but I dont want to get a head of myself lol

17. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

J, i have proplus oil, krowtan oil, oil #1 and oil #2 and mckenzies and a couple others. what is your best suggestion?

18. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

This is the one I get. It is cheaper in the long run.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/K7103-P175.aspx

19. knoblochs 1 or 2. They are superior to the others in my opinion.