1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Renegade blowing bubbles

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Hughiam, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Not sure if this is the right forum so please move if necessary.

I purchased a new Badger Renegade Air Brush. Hooked it up and painted for one day. I had trouble getting it to paint consistantly and called customer service and asked for an owners manual. They said there wasn't one but I could send it in for service. I thoroughly cleaned it, got it working again but still not great. Sent it in and it came back. It had more pieces on it than when I bought it new. It was missing a collar that holds the rod in place so when you pull back on the trigger, the rod moves and paint can spray out the end. So they replaced it.

It worked great for one day. Started painting again today(lacquer paints by Lifetone and Poly) and it quit spraying "fine" only to suddenly shoot out globs of paint. Took it apart, cleaned it and got it running. Sprayed final gloss coat and it quit spraying anything and just blew bubbles back in the cup.

Ive adjusted the pressure from 20-60psi, took it apart so many times I can do it in my sleep. By the end of the day I went back to my old single action. When this thing works its amazing, but Im frustrated with the down time. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Hugh

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Are you thinning the paint with retarder? Sounds like the paint is not thinned enough.

3. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Hi Hugh

A couple things I would try..... As mentioned , try adding a retarder. I would also up your psi a bit to 70. This might help.

I would guess white is also giving you trouble. Are your problems starting after you use white by chance ?

4. yelper

yelper Do or Do Not.... There is no try

GA
    I'm having the same trouble. It blows back into the cup with just thinner or water. I also have a brand new one and it works fine. Like you I've taken it apart, switched the parts around on the new one and it still happens. I'm stuck! It seems to stop when I take the air cap(tip) off but does it again with the air cap of the new one. I don't get it. I need help also.

5. bw

bw New Member

I think the only thing that causes the blow back of bubbles would be restriction of air exiting the gun at the tip. That's how I backflush mine when cleaning. Check to make sure all the air holes are clean and empty. Once they are, then you just have to figure out how you are plugging them....that's the hard part. From you description, I don't know how you are doing it.

6. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

The bubbles are as BW stated. From a clogged air hole in the tip. Soak the front end in laquer thinner, take the cup off. Give it a few minutes and then use about 5-10 psi and "spray" with the tip and inlet in the laquer to dissolve any paint in the brush. Then lower your pressure and thin your paints. If you're using a fine tip it doesn't take much pressure. If your pressure is too high or paint is too thick it starts to drie before it ever leaves the brush and clogs it.

I shake the crap out of mine and then add about 25-30% laquer in the cup when I'm using that. Using 15-20 psi depending on what I'm trying to do. Also use a line dryer if you don't have one. This little dessicant filled ones from lowes or home depot work fine. About $15 for a two pack of disposables

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

There have been a lot of posts on this subject lately. Either the air holes coming from the body of the airbrush are clogged or your tip is cracked. It would appear that there may be a design flaw with the Renegades or people are over tightening the tips when they clean them.

8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Took it apart, cleaned it and got it running. Sprayed final gloss coat and it quit spraying anything and just blew bubbles back in the cup.

Hugh you are using a detail brush to apply a final gloss coat?

The only flaw with the renegades is people using them for spraying medium that the brush is not designed for. If you want to spay broader coverage with 50-70psi you need to change out the .21 set up to one of the larger sizes. You can not shoot a 30 cal bullet out of a 20 cal rifle can you. same basic principal.

PB

9. Thanks everyone for the input. I should clarify that I'm painting gameheads not fish so my gloss coat is just the nosepad and eyes. Aaron, yes I use super hide white as a base coat when finishing deer. I thin down the paints with lacquer thinner, never have used retarder. I usually set my air supply around 40psi. Paul, thanks for jumping in, I thought you were still in Canada. Are you suggesting to not use gloss through the brush without changing needles? That may be what is causing the problem. As I mentioned this thing is great but I'm behind the learning curve. I'm still trying to figure out how to attach the spatter nozzle.

10. I haven't figured the spatter nozzle out either. How ya been Paul? Haven't had any issues to speak of with my brush.

11. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

The PSR (spatter tip) simply goes on the end of the airbrush. It takes the place of the R-058 or R-059. This part is callled the "spray regulator" . PSR stands for "precision stipple regulator" Any questions I can be reached at 616 677 3844.

Paul B

Physically I am back from Canada, but that's about it. Takes a bit to acclimate back to civilized life.

Attached Files:

12. yelper

yelper Do or Do Not.... There is no try

GA
    Why is it then that I can spray the same medium in the new gun and it will not spray in the old? I have cleaned it and soaked and blew it out numerous times. Still will not work

13. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

The R-003 is most likely split. Look at it very closely with magnification if needed and let me know wha you see,

PB

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Mine does that if I get a clump, or clog in the gun. Most of the time just running cleaner or water through it stops it from blowing back

15. slater56

slater56 Member

Mine was doing the same thing and come to Find out the R-003 was split. It's hard to see but if you look at it with optivisors and you can see if it's split or not. A replacement is around $12.00

16. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

Also could try to run your paints through a fine mesh paint strainer. You would be amazed at the amount stuff that will be left behind.