1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The S & S Fleshing Machine, The Dakota Pro and or The Gold Standard Flesher

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by wb24, Oct 28, 2011.

1. wb24

wb24 New Member

I will apologize in advance for being the one who asks everyone to revisit the question of fleshing machines! I have spent hours reading the archives, looking at you tube and reading up on the latest technological advances in today's modern fleshing machines.

I would like to get a new one, but honestly, it's not like you can return it if you don't like it. Atleast, I don't think so. You tube doesn't really help a whole lot. I think what would help the most is to hear from people who are currently using the latest modern fleshers. In addition, I am assuming these same people have experience using the machines that have been on the market for years. Obviously, 2 of the 3 machines I have listed are twice the money as most, I am wondering why that is. I would appreciate any and all feeback from those of you who have experience with these machines.

I am aware that it is probably like a lot of things, it probably has a lot to do with who is behind the wheel!! But even a seasoned taxidermist must have preferences and expectations with the new technology.

I am really interested to hear from people who have used or currerntly own any one of the following; The S & S Fleshing Machine, The Dakota Pro and or The Gold Standard Flesher?

Thank you
    W

2. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

hey OS!....wb is a good guy and is serious about purchasing a machine. you are known as one of the best shavers and a hell of a good guy to talk to... maybe throw him a bone?

I have a rawhide and it is a great machine, however i hear the pro is awesome.

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I have never heard of the "gold standard"?

I get asked questions all the time about machines, and can not provide an honest answer, because I have never had the privledge of trying any of the best sellers?

Sorry about the previous kranky post. :-[

4. Thought I was the only one who never heard of that machine.\

I would have bought an S&S if they would have honored the advertised price, which was at the time was like $1900. When I called to order I was told the price was like $3000. I said forget it and kept my Quebec pro until someone bought it. If I were to buy a new machine it would probably be the Dakota pro simply because of price and service. Not many choices these day anyhow. I believe Bill from Rawhide is in jail and Gerry from Quebec is dead.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

W, are you a taxidermist? If you are you're WAY overthinking. When income to prehistoric trade,"technology" is way overages. Professional TANNERS look for other things - like endurance. I own a Rawhide and though I've never heard of anything worth a damn being called "The Gold Standard", I have seen the other two in operation. In MY OPINION, the S&S is over made and over priced. The Pro combines all the good wualites of ALL the machines out there. As a taxidermist you're going yo need s flesher as well as s shaver and your machine needs both.

And IMO if you werelike looking for a machine you should've bought that Rawhide in the For Sale section. It was a steal

6. S&S, but as George will tell you, I am biased.

Too bad that a simply designed, well built machine priced at $2200 is "over made". I would call it built to last.

George, were Rawhide machines called "over made and over priced" when they first came out? I guess you could always go buy a new Rawhide machine.

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Hands down, no questions about it go with the S&S

8. George

No Doug. They were priced tight along with the iteration. Damned sure not $1000to higher

Michael when did you own a Pro or "Gold Standard"??? And didn't you also not a Besche knife?

9. George, when have you owned an S&S? Or better yet, when have you seen one in person?

10. michael p.

I've tried the machine at a couple of shows and am sold on their design and durability, I still have my rawhide and have burned through a Dakota..... so I know what it's like to own one that runs forever and one you have to replace every few years or rattles like $hit because of wear. When I open my new operation next year you can damn well bet the machine will be purchased from Doug Bridges, not because he's a nice guy, but because he sells the highest quality machine IMO.

A flesher is like a 4 wheeler. I can go to Tractor Supply and buy one for $3,000 that I'll have to replace every 1-2 years due to wear or I can go to Kawasaki, pay $6,000 and ride that son of a bitch for 8 years. I'm looking for long term investmentand an extra $1,000 now will save me money over 5-10 years.

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Andy I wouldnt toss dirt onto Gerard just yet.

12. Doug, when I called to order my machine last year I could have sworn I was told the machine was around $3000. The explanation I got was the father (I believe) was selling the units pretty much at cost ($1900) and they weren't making any money. Are you saying they are now $2200?

I'm confused. Thought I read an obituary last year.

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

It looked like his dad died, and another gerard also. The search I used didnt list him though...Andy I could be wrong and have forgotten, but Id rather be wrong and he did, then you be wrong...and he didnt! Maybe someone else knows for sure...Gerry?

14. Andy,
    That's right the price is $2200. I have been working with Randy to reduce the price on the unit. The old design was costed out at the range you listed. The new design makes it possible to lower the manufacturing costs. Also, working with Randy to go after volume of units to lower the cost. So, $2200 is the new price on the unit. You must have contacted S&S right when Randy took over. That was prior to the new design. The price on the new design has never been that high.

2X on the Gerard thing. You know something we don't Bill?

15. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I know I am going to make someone mad by saying this, but I am going to anyway.

All these "new machines" are WAYYYYYY to overbuilt. Most seem to be making an attempt at " child proofing" a machine, that only a dumb a55 wouldnt know can hurt you! Micro-adjust this and that, is a waste of money and time, by the builder.

16. George

Well OS I'm going to piss off the rest. With almost 3 centuries of toilet paper the BEST TP holders still only costs a few bucks. I am all for capitalism but S&S just mistook common sense marketing. This is what happens when a nontaxidermy machine shop comes up with a moneymaking idea. Some of you no doubt will buy this ugly baby and deny its ugly. Remember I'm not ontheir payroll or anyone else's. It IS over made that does NOTHING for functionality. It is priced $1000 over what its worth. Perhaps ostentatiousness befits some of you but I use my tax write-offs wisely. When I can get THREE Dakota Pros for less than TWO of there Maxine's you're going to have to show me on helluva lot more than the hype I've see so far. I DO NOT OWN A PRO. But no TAXIDERMIST could want or need a better machine and sill have enough money left over to buy a good rifle and scope.

17. George

Thanks Hudson. With a name like "The Gold Standard" I should've known Wonder Boy had something to do with it.

18. paul e

paul e New Member

after having the pro for more than a few years it does everything i need it to
    now i tweaked the post that clogs up(easy fix)
    and ive been happy as a pig in slop ever since
    ive owned a few fleshers and this is my favorite
    i don't have buyers remorse and feel i got what i paid for
    not saying mine is the best i haven't used them all
    just that the pro does everything i need it to and i didn't have to sell anything to get it

19. michael p.

The newer Dakotas are much better made than the old ones

20. George

Michael, do I sense some concilliatory tone in that remark??? ROTFLMAO

I thought you just gave a lesson on professional accountability to someone else last week? ::) :eek: ;D