1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cleaning and Repair Trophy Rooms/Big Box Stores

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by aimeeoutdoors, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I have some wealthy clients in this area that would like me to clean and restore mounts for them in trophy rooms and some outdoor stores. I have no idea how to quote a price to them. Have any of you provided this service? If so, how do you come up with a quote? I know repairs will be a totally different issue. I will base that on the repair, time involved and such. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Aimee

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I charge by the hour for things like that. It seems if you give them a solid price you will most likely run into something unpredictable. Charging by the hour includes most normal taxidermy supplies. If something special is needed than they are charged accordingly. Hope this helps, and good luck, 3bears

3. EA

EA Well-Known Member

My reply is coming from the construction industry, but I think you can apply it here as well.

Just as 3bears, we charge for most "unknown" situations by the hour, the only difference is we also charge for any materials too. Time and Materials..If you happen to get into a commonly used item, but need gallons of it, you will need reimbursed..That way you are covered. Whether you actually charge them is then up to you.

Also in these type of arrangement's there is an inherent amount of suspicion by the employer.. They tend to worry,"is this person working as hard for me as they would for themselves" Am I getting my money's worth and so on. Sad but true, it's nature of the beast.

I have learned to protect myself by holding weekly or possibly even daily meetings with employers to keep them updated on progress and any issues.. In my profession we refer to these jobs as "Extra's". Things that need done, but were not covered in the original contract..Early in my career a contractor would say, "I need this, I need that" and I would do the work on good faith that We would get paid..I would let these "extra's" pile-up and take 6 or more into their office to get them paid for all at once.

As you can imagine, it's alot easier to say, fix this - fix that, than is it to pay for it.. I would end up in arguments over things done a month earlier. Had I known they really didn't want to pay for item (1) I would not have completed Items 2,3,and 4 also.. You understand ? Keep communication open and keep a little leverage too. Don't get in too deep without being paid for some previous work. In a lot of instances, those who have money hate like H#ll to give any up.

4. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Yes, quote the job as an hourly rate and give an "estimate" of the number of hours needed to complete the job. Have them sign a contract that they understand the estimate is just that and they are responsible for all charges above the estimate. You can give them the option of setting a budget and when you hit that amount of money, you quit. Don't forget to add in a mileage quote if you are driving to different sites to do the work or if you have to pick it up and deliver it. I'd quote $1 per mile, round trip, plus the time it takes driving.

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i have been doing this for years for my safari customers who have 30 or more pieces of taxidermy.....i do it by the piece itself....looks like the others are different on here.....this way i work an average of two days and take home around 1,500 bucks for 30 items....sometimes its more...doesn't matter then by the hour...if they paid you 3,500 to do a lifesize mount for them they will be more than happy and understanding with what i charge them to clean it.......i charge an average of 50 bucks each, small heads are the same as large ones and lifesize....that way the small stuff is quick and i still make good money off the larger items.....the 50.00 ea. includes, air compressor blow cleaning( i bring a small one and plug it in their garage bringing each item out to the garage) i spray the trophys with a bug spray that is the type we used at the museum, i touch up the painted areas, the eyes, nose etc. then put a fresh coat of clear on the nose pad and eye lids....the customers that are well to do will be happy for you to come back every other year to keep their collection looking new...all of my clients are large corporation owners and have party's all the time...they do not want anything looking unkept....very easy fast money....