1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HUGE problem

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by blake23, Nov 1, 2011.

1. blake23

blake23 New Member

My dog climbed over the trash can i was picking my deer hide in and tore off the muzzle and bottom lips!!!!! :( Idk how he climbed up the side of the trash can like that. The rest of the cape is fine, but is the whole project lost???

2. I'd say so, i guess it would be lesson learned. They can get into just about anything. Looks like you need a replacement cape. I cant imagine you being about to sew it back together and hide it.

3. blake23

blake23 New Member

So if i got a cape from a local processor that would work?

4. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

It should unless it was something special like a double throat patch or something odd. if it is a customer deer be sure to find one the right size

5. yup, you can get one from a processor, assuming it was nothing really big. Or there are tons for sale in the for sale section. I have about 5 extra capes sitting in my freezer if it comes to you having to buy one.

6. blake23

blake23 New Member

Alright. Just talked to the processor and they can get me one. It will probably be missing a skull cap though...

7. Dont you already have a set of antler's you would like to use? No need for a skull cap then.

8. I think he means the skin that goes over the skull cap. Man, I'd check on my dog. My pickle as a very low pH. I'm sure those chemicals can't be good for him.

9. blake23

blake23 New Member

Yeah its the skin i am missing. Would it be too hard to get a new cape without a skull cap and the sew the skull cap of the one that i have on to the new one? or would that be too noticable? And how much would you sell one of those 5 extra capes?

10. AJH

AJH Member

I'd get a whole cape with skull skin. Or maybe cut a deal with someone dropping a fresh kill off at the processor. Tell them for a few bucks, you need take the head to your shop and cape, then return the antlers to them. Or even give them their antler back on a plaque in exchange for the cape. Good luck.

11. what form are you using to mount your dog?

12. over thought that a little bit. makes sence now. haha.

13. blake23

blake23 New Member

Must be a super dog lol. He has been acting fine. The cape had not been in the bath too long i dont guess before he got ahold of it. maybe he will be ok lol

14. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Black lab? When I was in high school, my boss left a gallon of antifreeze sitting on the floor of the shop, got home from picking his lab up from bird training(had $4000 invested in him) threw the dog in the shop and sat in the office drinking beer all evening. You guessed it, dog chewed the bottle open and lapped up every last ounce! The dog layed around the whole next day moanin and groanin and noone could figure what his problem was until that evening we found the chewed up bottle! Turned out to be an amazing duck and goose dog!

15. blake23

blake23 New Member

No i have a brittany spaniel. But thats an amazing story. We had a jerk in our neighborhood put out antifreeze to take some of the dogs out. He killed like three of our dogs including the dog i have now's mom. But anyways, I think he will make it.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If you went to the processor and talked to him, and you did the skinning, you could get a cape without them whacking the antlers off it first. You might have to stand down there at the butcher shop and wait for one to come in and jump on it before the clowns chop off the rack.

17. trky

trky New Member

post your measurements on the want forum, someone on here can most likely help you out