1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bumping "For Sale" and "Wanted" posts

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by Ken Edwards, Nov 2, 2011.

1. 1 Day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2 Days

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. 3 Days

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 5 Days

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. 7 Days

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  6. 10 Days (current limit)

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

There has been some discussion in the "For Sale" category about shortening the 10 day "no bump" rule. I am interested in hearing the opinions of the participants who use the For Sale section on a regular basis. Please feel free to vote and comment if you like. You can come back and change your vote later if you like.

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

DANG IT KEN!!!!!!!!!!! I don't get very many chances to mess with you and the ONE time I FINALLY get a chance, you go back and fix it :D :D

3. I think it's a good thing to shorten it. 10 days = a year when you are trying to sell something. On this site, there are so many posts that stack up on the for sale section, that in 1 day you can be 3 pages in. That means you have GREAT traffic on the for sale section and for a person that has to wait 10 days, your opportunity for a sale may be missed due to the fact that no one wants to wade through more than 3 pages of the for sale section before their attention goes elsewhere. I know myself, I only go max of 3 pages deep.

Change it please. I voted for 3 days.

4. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

One thing to consider, shortening the bump period will not make items stay on the first pages any longer. It will actually move items back faster. If everybody bumps every five days instead of 10 days, items will move to page 20 twice as fast as before!

Right now, you must go to page three to see everything that has been submitted in the past 24 hours. If we shorten the bump time, you may have to go to page 6 to see everything from the past 24 hours.

5. GSD

GSD New Member

I say 7 days.

6. dammed if you do. Dammed if you don't.
    10 days is just too long.

7. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

I maybe the only one but oh-well. Keep it at 10 days.

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Once folks think through what Ken is saying, in reality, theyll see what hes saying, and likely feel 10 days or close to it is fine. The only other thing is, why an arbitrary number of pages like 3??? Why not read whatever amount of pages until you get through a day or 2 days worth of sale items? Id rather count dates, than pages. Good luck to everyone regardless.

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Right now there is enough room for 20 threads. I say make it big enough for 40 and it will take a LOT longer for things to get to page 3 ;D Problem solved. :D

10. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

i would suggest putting the training section under these same rules....

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Theres no need to. Theres not near the turnover and like 5 or 6 regulars who update once a month or so, unless theres some upcoming date/deadlines. And the occasional shameless plugs we all do. The training section is fine as is.

12. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

3-5 days would be ok... I often forget to bump at 10 days, so I's assume others do the same.

13. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I don't really see a problem with it as is. If the item is hot, other members bump it for you with their comments. If the item is cold if finds it's way backwards. Seems to work for me as is. If the poster feels the need to bump, thats a pretty good indication that the item isn't too hot and might consider a different venue for the item. If a change is made, I wouldn't go drastic with it at first. Maybe try 7 days for a while if change is desired.

14. I think the bump rule is fine where its at... BUT I would like to be able to delete my own forsale posts... I think that would REALLY unclutter the board... Instead of having people dredge up those nearly year old posts or bugging a mod everytime you want to delete something....

15. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I don't sell anything but I like this idea because a lot of sellers do not go back and edit their posts to indicate the item is gone. I too have occassionally inquired about items listed that are old, however, I contact the seller directly over dredging up the post to the top again.

Vic

16. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I voted 7 days, because our minds are geared to a 7 day schedule.

17. I voted for 5 days, but I don't have much invested in that section, only bought and sold a few things so far. I don't think changing the days will have much effect on stuff being sent to page 3 though. Everyone that is bumping at 10 days now will be bumping at 5 days and the ones bumping early already will most likely continue to do so. My reasoning behind the 5 days is more along the lines of what joey was thinking. We are on a 7 day schedule, and certain days of the week and times of the day there will be more traffic. I think 5 days would give a person a little more flexibility in bumping their post at the time of day they want on the day of the week they want.

I think it was Redwolf that posted about changing the number of posts per page. I think that would be better as far as getting people to read more posts. Not that they are actually going through any less, but it is like a little mind game, they think it's less because it is less pages.

Just my opinion, and like I said, I don't really have anything invested in that section, maybe someday. I usually don't say much about forum operations because I think Ken and his moderators run this place pretty darn good. Since Ken asked though, I figured I'd give my two cents.

18. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

I know if I saw one i SAW 10 GUYS SAYING BOB GET ME A HORNETS NEST, SO i GET ONE, POST IT AND IMMEDIATLY IT WAS ON PAGE 3-4 OR MORE IN JUST HOURS. WHAT REALLY GALLS ME IS A GUY MAKES 10 POSTS IN ONE DAY SELLING 10 BASSICALY IDENTICAL ITEMS, OR NON TAXIDERMY RELATED STUFF, CLOTHES , TOYS, ETC. STILL HAVE THAT HORNETS NEST AND WAITING MY 10 DAYS. i KNOW IF ANYONE SAW THE AD IT WOULD HAVE BEEN GONE. all that said, if I didn`t have access to this site my income and sales wouldn`t be diddle. I wqent with the 7 days, but don`t see that curing anything. maybe better would be a guy can post 2 items a day max, and a bump counts as a post. an pms returned is a bump too.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I think once a week is fair, as some "buyers" are only shopping on weekends anyway. Force feeding page one is not going to make you sell more. If the Taxinet for sale catagory is your only source of income, then you better find a job anyway. I don't believe the for sale catagory was made for someone to make 250 K a year off of it.

20. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

i have no problem with the 10 limit now in force. maybe if every time someone commented on a post it didn't automatically put the post back at the first of page one (only move back to top position after 10 bump by originator), all the comments and "pm sent" and "pm answered" makes it tough.

Also it would be nice to be able to "kill" or "delete" the post when the item is sold and money received.

JMO