1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitening antlers for re-staining?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by shockme2, Nov 2, 2011.

1. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Hello all,

I need to whiten some antlers that were written on and I was wondering what I should use to accomplish this? Also, any suggestions on what to use to re-stain them.
    I appreciate any and all help with these questions

Thanks, Shockme2

2. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I have done a couple and I whitened them with [ Kilz primer ] paint on and rub off excess. I then made my own stain by thinning Watco wood stain. then coated with
    Satin clear Spray. Practice on an extra antler around the shop ,till you get it the way you want it.
    This worked for Me.

3. I dont understand why you would want to do that. most of the time the horns are almost white anyway. i just stain with either light oak or bombay machoney . the base is darked than the rest of the rack so if you stain the upper part with the moh and wait a few hours then stain the complete rack they should come out perfect. All of this just depends on where your from as to the color , just match the antler base im useing Min wax stain . everyone likes it mark c

4. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Hi Mark C,

They have magic marker written all over them (Kids). So, I think whitening them would remove the ink, then I would stain them.

5. 40 Vol. peroxide from sallys

6. jazz_fan1

jazz_fan1 Member

Sometimes you can write on top of a magic marker with a dry erase marker and then wipe both away. It might be worth trying.

7. now there are some great ideas . well done team mark c

8. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Rub lightly with a green thin scrubbing pad ; should take it off , if its not permanent ink.Or a mister eraser.

9. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

Lacquer thinner on a rag will remove the magic marker. and pretty much leave the original color of the antler in tact. If need be potassium permanganate works great for staining antlers.

10. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Just got back from a pretty decent hunt over the weekend. Nice little 7 pointer out of Montevideo MN. I really appreciate all the good idea's etc. I'll try them out and update ASAP. ;D ;D

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Off white paint, then stain or paint to what you want.

12. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    If the markings wont come off you can peroxide the antlers as stated! Then I would restain with "James' Antler stain". It goes on pink but turns brown in a few minutes. It layers and blends better than anything I have ever used, dries fast with no oily mess!

I can't imagin the marker ink not coming off with a little effort though! Try the lacquer as suggested, It will sure take the marker ink off of other things.......Like name tags :mad:

13. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Ron B,

Where do I get James antler stain?

Thanks Shock

14. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    From James Taxidermy supply. Their number is 662-286-5133

Comes in a small bottle but will go a long way! But I warn you the pink color will freak you out at first! But trust me it will turn a perfect antler brown in minutes! Start with a light coat at first and build to the depth you want! Good luck!

15. potassium permanganate goes on purple and will freak you out just as bad the first time.

16. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Also you could try a mr. Clean magic eraser. They work awesome for marker. I have a couple little piccasso's too ;)

17. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Thanks to everyone. I'll be trying them out from easiest to hardest. ;D