1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any Good Electric air brushes on the market ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by New York Rack Master 8, Nov 4, 2011.

1. New York Rack Master 8

New York Rack Master 8 New Member

Just wondering, I think if there out there I may want to go with one over having a air compressor.

2. I have never seen an electric airbrush. Do you have any links?

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Only a Wagner power sprayer at lowes

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

There's none that I'm aware of. I don't know where the idea came from that there was as even the smallest diaphragm air compressor (like on acquariums) would still leave you with one gawdawful mess trying to maneuver around your work. I'd suggest reverting back to camel hair and sable brushes with oil paints and acrylics if the idea of "dragging a hose" bothers you.

5. New York Rack Master 8

Nope, dragging a hose does not bother me. JUST wondering as my question (if you reread it ) states "JUST WONDERING" , meaning I did not know if they were out there YET, as I am sure with technolegy they will some day be part of the shop. That was all. If they were out there then I probably would have tried one thats all not a big deal. Happy happy JOY JOY!

6. George

Technology is often overrated. The current products can't get much simpler than they are already. Adding any kind of compressor unit to the brush would simply complicate the process and don't ever foresee that changing.

7. New York Rack Master 8

To each is there own, If everyone thought that way then stepping on the moon would have never happened.
    So many things have changed in the 20 years I have been around taxidermy that I for one WILL NEVER say NEVER.
    And I for one do not think Technology is overated, but you have a right to your opinion on that. After my military career I will never doubt Technology ...

8. George

You know, I should've known anyone who'd have asked such a dumb friggin question to begin with would start with that politically correct bull$hit when exposed. Guys like you fit into a category that I call "Can't cure stupid". How the hell miniaturizing an air compressor equates with Neil Armstrong is a reach for most rationally thinking people.

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

They are mostly "electric" airbrush's now! My compressor is ELECTRIC, that's as close as you'll ever get. George is correct, to miniaturize a completely self contained electric "airbrush" would be a mechanical nightmare.......not to mention cleanup and maintenance of the "small" parts. Why don't you work on something really practical....like a gasoline powered scalpel.

Hey, the real money is in sports....how about a mechanical baseball BAT!

10. New York Rack Master 8

Nice people skills. You are a gentleman to the max!
    40 years ago if you told a taxidermist that in the future there would be a fleshing machine he would have said some of the same stuff you have said.

11. George

Rackmaster, just so that you know I didn't just fall off onion truck, I had been doing taxidermy for 33 years before you ever thought about it. In 53 years many things HAVE changed,but just as many haven't. The scalpels now have throw away blades, but the methods are still the same. The first airbrush I ever saw was one where you have a long flexible tube that you blew into as you moved "pen" around. You didn't havea trigger button but controlled the air flow by your lungs. Then came the "tanks" and "canned air", fish tank filter pumps and then adapting compressor tanks with regulators. Now we've gone to micro-adjustments and precision machined parts. So I'm saying "never" based on improving THIS SYSTEM. I suspect that an offshoot of powder coating or something similar might REPLACE this down the road. Just not tomorrow or next week.

12. gasoline powered scalpel.thats funny!ha ha ha!

13. Fleshing machines have been around more than forty years! Maybe if you had Breakthrough coming to your house you would swallow your words.

"40 years ago if you told a taxidermist that in the future there would be a fleshing machine he would have said some of the same stuff you have said."

How many years did Ol Sinclair Clark flesh hides?When did Mr Clark pass away?

14. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    I've been up since 5:00 AM George, LOL!! Your email this morning was better than caffeine though. First, Sinclair Clark died back in 1997. I wrote an article back then for Breakthrough on him. The 'round knife' or fleshing wheel was in the James L. Clark Studios way back when Sinclair's mentor, Dominick Villa (an Italian BTW!) was using them in the 1920's. The machine was commonly used within the entire fur industry for shaving mink, 'coon and all the other fur bearers. The AMNH also has one still intact that was used by Sinclair when Akeley was alive. However, Sinclair used the currier knife for all the pachyderms and larger animals like giraffe, okapi, gaur etc. He never ever used a wheel on zebra hides...all by hand!
    Lou Jonas used the airbrush and compressor when he did the African and Asiatic elephants at the AMNH along with every other one he ever did. He did more lifesize elephants than any other taxidermist in history. Together was the owner of the NY Jonas Bros., Steve Horn, they both pioneered the use of the chopper and resin spray gun in making fiber glass molds back in the 1930's.
    Forgive me George, but I'm going to the tannery right now as a matter of fact. Thanks John C. for mentioning Sinclair. I miss him more and more each time he gets some print here. If you'd like, I'll send you a nice photo of Sinclair at the wheel in Jonas Bros. that I took of him back in the 70's.