1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Allergic to cats!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by jeff reeves, Nov 7, 2011.

1. jeff reeves

jeff reeves New Member

I have a question to ask anyone who could answer.
    I am deathly allergic to cats and I usuallly have someone skin all of my cats for me (just get the carcass out). Then, I wash them with Dawn and PS-650 and I am then ok with them. I then am able to get the feet, head and tail out, flesh, salt and proceed with tanning. Problem is that I cannot find any ps-650 anywhere, when Mckenzie's bought Van Dykes, they dumped it. Where can I get this stuff and or what is a good repacement?
    Thanks.
    J

2. What is in the PS-650 or what does it do? Is it for the tanning process or is it just to alleviate your allergies?

3. jeff reeves

jeff reeves New Member

Since I wash these cats before I handle them, they are wet and prone to slipping. The ps-650 is a bactericide and stops slip before it happens.

4. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Hope you can get something to replace it.

5. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

Not sure who carries the PS-650, possibly TASCO. But you can get Knoblochs skin prep NBU as a suitable replacement.

6. little elk

little elk Member

SD
    I'm not sure if PS-650 is a Bruce Rittle product, if it is try the Rinehart(sp?) website. They have a lot of Bruce's product on that site. Hope this helps.

7. ravenswings1

ravenswings1 New Member

USA
    Did you try a google search?

8. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Who manufactures it? I can't find much on the net about it. Does the label have any other info? Got the MSDS?

9. jeff reeves

jeff reeves New Member

Cyclone,
    I don't know who manufactures it but if I dig deep enough on the internet, Bruce Rittel comes up. There wasn't much on the label but my dad still has a quart of it laying around and I will see if he has the msds on it. All I know is that I have been buying it at van dykes for years and suddenly since van dykes was bought out (again!) it was dumped. It seems as if someone gets a great product that you rely on, it suddenly goes away in this industry.....