1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how to build a rock wall

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by rdaniel, Nov 8, 2011.

1. I am a wife of a Taxidermist and do a lot of habitat. A customer liked the rock that I built and wants me to build a whole rock wall. What is the best way to start and what product is the easiest to use. Thanks,

2. RF

RF Member

I'm surprised nobody has answered your question. I think I may have seen a similar question in the old forum along with pictures. If I recall they used wire mesh over a wooden frame then covered the wire with burlap soaked in plaster. Hope this helps. If you decide to give it a try can you take some pictures? I would like to see how it turns out.

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

The "pros" buy the sheets of prefab rock and adapt it to fit around their framework. michael p posted a series of pictures of a job he was on back in the late summer. It wasn't a tutorial, but it showed a lot of what's done to get the "mountain " in place. There are a couple tutorials that show the "chicken wire system" that are very good. For speed, the Quick Rock systems are hard to beat. John Will of Quick Rock does a seminar that puts a rock base together in a hurry. You can find it by googling Quick Rock.

4. If its outdoors you should definately go with mortar & rebar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

5. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

WOW that is one really COOL looking Rock wall . And then to have water flowing off the top of it is off the charts.

What does it cost to build something like that . Or have built.

6. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

they have always told me, that if I have to ask, I can't afford it. As a result, I don't ask very often. I just look and say, that's nice and move on. LOL

7. Antlerman, :D Its like the guy that repairs Ferraris for a living but owns a Volkswagon! lol! I cant even afford myself lol. That was done quite a few yrs ago I think I charged him 17 k or somethin, threw that one up by hand.

8. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

You are correct. I can not afford something like that. and I do not have a pool but I always wondered how much something like that cost . Very nice work. Now I know. So I won’t ask again. LOL

9. Non-TypicalArtist

Non-TypicalArtist ABOVE Expectations. BEYOND Ordinary.

That is awesome. I would love to get into doing outdoor stuff like that. I have a buddy that is a hardscaper and nursery owner. I told him we need to team up on stuff like that when he gets a paver job etc. What did you put on the inside of the rock? Looks like you added something in between the rebar and the chicken wire process?? Very nice work!!

10. Its burlap or diamond mesh behind the bar, chickenwire on top. Pretty amazing what can be done with concrete. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Damn, I just put two and two together and figured out who is doing these. Sum of a bisket Mike.....You do some incrediable stuff dude. I'm more than just a little impressed. I'm blown away. We may have to get you out to the winery for a waterfalls project next year.

12. Non-TypicalArtist

What purpose does the burlap provide. A visual so you can see the shape of the structure? Awesome stuff!

13. HA! lol, Thanks Antlerman, I'm always game! The burlap is what holds the concrete behind the bar. Normally It is sprayed on but that thing was so small I threw it all on by hand. Basically what your creating is a concrete shell that encapsulates the rebar all around. If there is not good consolidation around the rebar its worthless and will end up cracking. When I do large features even though its finish is "rock" its no different than anything else in construction. Many times a core drill sample will be taken by inspectors to make sure the p.s.i. strength of my mix makes code. Always on commercial jobs the rrebar and everything must pass inspection. We dont want 2 tons of ceiling coming down on little Sally's head.

14. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cave interior, This project will be basalt, which has specific characteristics that is formed into the armature. You can see it right :D
    [​IMG]
    Some granite with artificial foliage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Non-TypicalArtist

Incredible. Very impressive. You are a trust artist my friend!

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

What did you use to paint on or creat the lichen?

17. The lichen is just sand/cement splattered on the rock then tooled a bit.

18. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very impressive work Mike, that is beyond talented!

19. RTF

RTF Active Member

Awesome work. Love the walls