1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

slickhead help

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by r.rase78, Nov 12, 2011.

1. hey whats goin on every1? am workin on an early season doe its my 1st doe. and is skinned out with nno incisions. after tan i test fitted and managed to ger it on but was 1 tuff mother. there is no way i could do it with the ear butts on. is it best to make an incesion like on a buck to work on ears? any input on this topic appreciated thx all.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I always make a short dorsal cut from the forehead to true base of the skull. This gives ample room to slide the cape on and work the ear butts. USE 10 pound Fireline and small stitches to close it. The longer skull hair will hide easily.

3. thx george. was hoping to get away with no incision but not gonna happen makes sense to do it like you said especially since it has a short summer coat. thx again. nite everyone

4. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I have done numerous does from 6 inch noses to 7 3/4 and I have never had to make an incision when mounting them. You can build your ear butts by placing the clay through the mouth and have the head skin loose. Slide it into place and WA LA your ear butts are fine and you can continue to mount your deer. I hear people say you have to have an incision to mount a doe. YOU DON'T. You can mount it without one. They are done all around the U.S. like that every day. The hardest part of mounting the doe is over once it is on the form. ;) ;D

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dan I never meant to imply you COULDN'T. I just never found a good reason WHY I'd want to.

BTW when I did a few I found you could wedge the head off the form, install it, do your earbutts through the rolled up neck skin, put a dollop of 5the minute epoxy in the wedge, and then pull the tubed skin down the neck. I spines true wedge till the epoxy cured and VOILA the doe is mounted.

6. John L

John L Active Member

I will try to post a sketch (for lack of a better word) on how I did the last doe I mounted. You can cut a trapazoid shape wedge from the top of the nose down behind the mouth over and back up behind the eye just prior to where your earbutts would be. You can shape your earbutts from clay or use the bought kind(harder) the cape will slip on and you can do your eye work prior to sliding the wedge back in.

Attached Files:

7. i know i could not pull that wedge tecnique off LOL i could not hide that incesion. i went with george and it worked great. had plenty of room with my plastic earbutts. and the cut is invisible. thx George very good advise:) i like that fireline too, sure beats that real thick stuff i ordered. ill post pics when i get outside with her. she looks real good to me and am pleased have one ear back and one alert.

8. John L

John L Active Member

There is no incision with the wedge you slide the wedge in back through the mouth and mount. You never cut the cape.