1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can anyone recommend me a great taxidermy school?

Discussion in 'Training' started by lambscheme, Apr 11, 2007.

1. I am willing to travel and looking for a GREAT taxidermy school in the US. There are so many to choose from and I am hoping for some input from people who have actually attended the school. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

http://www.taxidermy-school.com/taxidermySchoolRecommendations.htm

3. I would recommend second nature school of taxidermy just read some of what his students have said about him,
    you will enjoy it and get a great deal of knowledge , and after you get through you can still count on his help on anything you problems you may run into once you start your business, give him a call you wont regret it

4. country-captn

country-captn New Member

I just finished up a Taxidermy class at Stoney Hills School Of Taxidermy. I highly recommend this class. There was allot of teacher student time. I felt like I got everything and more than what I was expecting. He does awesome work and does everything he can to make your work turn out great.
    Check out the school at, www.stoneyhills.com

5. cotaxidermy

cotaxidermy New Member

The Colorado Institute of Taxidermy Training Inc.
    E-mail [email protected]
    FREE CATALOG
    VA Approved
    www.coloradotaxidermyschool.com
    1-800-733-6936

6. Academy of Wildlife art in duncansville PA

7. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

MISSOURI TAXIDERMY INSTITUTE Very reasonable prices. Great people. Beautiful location

8. Northwoods school of Taxidermy in Stoystown,PA Joel Zimmerman and Scott Edwards are great instructors,
    plus they know where all the good fishing spots are,I had a blast there.

9. Jesse M

Jesse M "it is what it is"

I completed the full course at Wegners School of Taxidermy. Its a great school with great results. It will be a small class size(close to one on one) so you'll have the intructor for the most part to yourself. I feel a student will get more out of class, if his or her questions or problems can be helped without have a large class to contend with. Check out his website at www.wegnersschooloftaxidermy.com or give Ron a call at 608-868-4022. I could also give you my phone # if you would like to talk to me personally to hear what my experiences were like. My name is Jesse by the way if you would like to talk directly to me send me a message and I'll send you my #.

10. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

Missouri Taxidermy Institute is where i went, and was very pleased with the instruction and time frame inwhich we had to complete the projects. The people were top notch and will answer any and all questions you have while there and after you get home, Chip hears from me at least monthly, and if its something i have never worked on, he hears from me more often. Not once has he said he couldnt help me, he is a very knowledgable person who is willing to help anyone wanting to invest thier time and effort into learning this great trade, good luck, Russ Pendergraft

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

PA Institute of Taxidermy. Long Class, small class sizes, plus business classes. It is a little higher priced but as you will soon learn in taxidermy " Good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good"

12. I highly recommend Vermilion Community College in Ely, MN. They offer a certificate for people going into business, or a smaller course for hobbiests. The actual hands-on classes start in Spring, with the regulations and laws in Fall.

13. WT

WT Member

texas
    Come down south to Central Texas School of Taxidermy. I just finished the Two-Week course in March. Kelly Liefeste, the instructor, is GREAT. He offers Two and Six Week schools. It's like learning taxidermy from your best friend.

14. Josh

Josh New Member

My advise: find a taxidermist in your area and try to get a job working for them and learn that way. I wouldn't waste my time and money on a school. I went to one of the above mentioned schools and was not impressed. I didn't learn much of anything until I worked for another taxidermist for a couple of years. You just can't learn what you need to in a couple of weeks I'm sorry.

15. buckoluck

buckoluck Spruce Ridge Taxidermy

Check out Trails end school of Taxidermy in Rice Minnesota! It's under schools in taxidermy.net It's the best!!

16. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

When searching for a school keep this in mind you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Whatever school you choose they will teach you how to do what you have to do but you must reatain the knowledge and just like anything, experience is important. Each mount you do after completion and looking at your notes from the class will make you better. Using reference for your monuts, even the experienced do that. This is a field of never ending practice and learning, join your state association go to seminars and conventions. Learn with each and every project. For the person that was not impressed with what he learned or how it was taught. You get what you put back into it. Whether you learn from a established artist or a school you will still learn afterwards. Good luck

17. Ihntdeer

Ihntdeer Member

I've seen alot of great responses, but are you looking to specialize is a specific species? If you want to learn, see people that are species specific. Look in the back of any Breakthrough and they will list schools. Good luck

18. give steve a call @ academy of realistic taxidermy in havre montana

19. WOODSWISE

WOODSWISE New Member

I definately agree Rich. Steve really isn't a bad guy at all.He definately knows his stuff. Even though the price seems high, it really isn't. With the amount of instruction and the contacts he has, you really can't go wrong. You get what you put in. Schools open 24/7 and you have the freedom to work at your own pace........somewhat. It's actually posted on taxidermy.net Academy of Realistic Taxidermy A.R.T.

20. MISSOURI INSTITUTE OF TAXIDERMY
    I just recently graduated form there and I'm so glad i chose them. Very reasonably priced. The knowledge you receive is worth way more than what it cost. They are TOP NOTCH people and will always be there to help you in a pinch. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't choose any other place.