1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Still Puttin em down at 91!! *finished pg3*

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kyle Lakey, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Sporty (91 year old Vet) put this 20 inch 8pt down the night before veterans day with the crossbow. He has been a friend of the family and community for a long time coaching sports in high school for years and also coach of a fast pitch softball team which he retired from last year. I graduated and played ball with his grandson, and played ball with another grandson, and was coached by one of his sons so I grew up with him around during our sports games. He is a super avid hunter, fisherman, and trapper of which he still does it all. He called me about mounting it friday and said he needed to skin it yet. I said I can do it if you want but he said he would get it done and bring it saturday. He called later in the day and asked what I charged to skin it. Told him I'd skin if for ya for nothing Sporty. Said he would bring it over tomorrow and I said no I'll come and do it there so you don't have to load and unload it twice. He couldn't beleive I was gonna do all that for nothing and was supper happy. Told him I was glad to do it. He has earned it after this many years. Can't wait to get it done for him. He had been hunting the buck all year getting alot of pics but never saw it until the night he shot him so we are going to fix the broken g2 since he had so many pics of it and was broke off only a few days before he got him. At 91 he still can enjoy his sports he loves and be patient enough to kill a big buck. Cool story that I thought I'd share. Hope I'm still givin er at 91 like this.

[​IMG]

2. Re: Still Puttin em down at 91!!

Very very nice. Glad to see that somebody so deserving got it. Can't wait to see the pics when it is finished.

3. shammy

shammy New Member

Re: Still Puttin em down at 91!!

Very nice of ya. Tell him congrats on such a nice buck.

4. huntersdream

huntersdream New Member

Way to Go !! Sporty!!!! nice buck and a tough 91 YO

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Kyle, if you want, send me that rack asap and I will fix that tine for you pronto and get it back to you for the old dude. No charge. I just want to do it for him. We both are in SPEE DEE country, so won't cost much. Tim

6. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Really Tim!! That would be awesome. I'm no pro at fixing tines yet so that would be great. I appreciate it and I'm sure he will too. pm your info please.

7. antlerman

pm sent dude. Lets do it for him. Box it up good. I'll need it for 3 days, and right back to ya.

8. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Sporty was a fighter pilot back in the day. He also still attends every home HS basketball, baseball, and football game as well as many away games. Was fun listening to many of his hunting stories while I was skinning it and afterwards. Think I was there for almost 2 hours haha.

9. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Sounds great. I'll get it out in the next day or two. Appreciate it Tim.

10. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Damn what a great story dude! That is awesome. Fantastic buck and being 91 and getting him makes it that much better!

11. antlerman

He reminds me of my Grandad who would have been 101 this year. plus he's a vet. It's the least we can do for him. I'l do it up real good for ya.

12. zubba

zubba Active Member

Awfully nice gesture Kyle & Tim. Kudos to both of you.

13. swampfox

swampfox New Member

Outstanding guys !

14. shawc

shawc New Member

NE Ks

Awesome fellas!!! Congrats Sporty! Simply awesome!

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

At 91,,, you better mount that one right away. Get it back to him before he forgets he shot it.

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Thanks for sharing! I love old people and could listen to them ramble about their live all day long. Sportys seen more than 99% of us could ever dream of I am sure :)

17. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

He is still very sharp and doing well. He can tell ya anything and everything that has ever happened in his life. I am going to get it done by xmas for him though. He thinks it will be done in March right now. He isn't sure if this will be his last year hunting or not. Said he will be out there again next year if his body allows him too but it has gotten tougher and tougher the last few years he said. Was pretty funny, he shot the deer and it ran out and died near the logging road through the woods. He was able to drive his truck near it and winch it up into his truck with the winch system he made for his truck before anyone else got there to assist him haha. They ended up unloading it there to get pics but he was ready to head to town and show him off before anyone got there!!

18. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Same here Mike. Old time stories always make for a good listen.

19. tem

tem Well-Known Member

congrats to sporty. and at 91. :Way to go.and you two guys are awesome for doing it up for him.remember. what gos around. comes around. be ready for a blessing. ;)

20. Re: Still Puttin em down at 91!!

Post picture when you get it done . Great story. Gary