1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

your thoughts on Mckenzie tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by buckrunner34, Apr 11, 2007.

1. is it really as good as sending it to a tannery.and is it farley easy to do??

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's not as good as sending it next door in my opinion.

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

What? Not sure what you mean?

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

As for my answer, I've never used McKenzie tan but I do use LiquaTan and I belive the products are very similar. If you do not have a fleshing machine to shave the hides with I would send them to a tannery, because without it they will not be as good. As far as my hides, I prefer my home tans to most commercial tans mainly because I have more control, save money, and can get them done quickly. As for the finished mount, I don't notice a difference.

5. Bwana

Bwana New Member

Iowa
    I have had trouble with the McKenzie tan. I have never however had anything but good experiences with the Liqua Tan. Stick with the Liqua Tan.

6. huntingfool

huntingfool Member

I've never had a problem with McKensie tan. I've used it on everyhing from mink, to squirrel, deer, and coyote. Just salt, pickle, and tan!!! I have a mini flesher (messy), but it shaves good after the tanning proccess is done. The directions will tell you to leave it on for four hours, but I prefer overnight.
    Bill

7. George

Well, I've used them all and the McKenzie tan is going to be at the bottom of my list forever. I keep hearing people touting it being so great and having tons of stretch. Not here. And I tried it on three separate occasions makiing sure I followed the directions EXACTLY. I lost 1 inch in neck circumference on the deer and an otter done with it almost ended up fitting a weasel form better. I am almost exclusively a McKenzie supporter, but they would have been better off marketing the John Rinehart Tanning Solution in my opinion. Use JRTS or Liqui-Tan and you can't go wrong.

8. I don't like Mckenzie tan either, EZ100 supporter here 100%

9. thanks for all the advise ill keep it in mind

10. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i agree with george on his comments about mt - looks and smells like tanning oil

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Thanks for clearing that up George, I wasn't sure what you meant in your 1st reply. Like I said, I've always used LiquaTan and so far have found no reason to try anything different.

12. I have always used Liqua Tan, I purchased a gallon of McKenzie Tan some time ago to give it a try, talk about headaches, if you want good stretch in your skins stick with Liqua Tan.

13. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

I've never got good stretch from Liqua Tan??? From what I've learned you get stretch from how thin you shaving your hides anyway. As far as I'm concerned McKenzie Tan is the best thing since sliced bread! Just my opinion.

14. George

EJ, now be honest with all of us. Did you EVER buy commercial bread that WASN'T sliced?

15. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Yep! ;D

16. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I have tried many tans and I still love EZtan. Nice stretch, nice looking leather and smell. To me, I much prefer to have the hide fully submersed in a tan, especially on a thick hide. Never liked the idea of just painting it on one side - what happens to the other side? :-\

17. George

LOL Amy, maybe you should ask Ken Walker. He's won a few National and World Championships using Liqui-Tan. Didn't seem to have much effect on the end product.

18. BWS

BWS New Member

I have used McKenzie tan.....and it was "ok"...didn't like the lack of stretch tho...

I switched back to Liqua-tan.

Used to use Krowtann.....like the results, but it seemed to 'burn' my hands, even after neutralizing. I find safety acid doesn't do that.

19. paul e

paul e New Member

used liqua tan many times
    good reaults
    i tried Mckenzies twice got almost zero stretch
    i shave a skin very thin it aint the skin ITS THE TAN
    over

20. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Submersion tanning does nothing significant to the epidermal side. Epidermis is mostly keratinized cells.