1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

your thoughts on Mckenzie tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by buckrunner34, Apr 11, 2007.

1. 458okie

458okie Jeff "458okie" W.

I am dissatisfied with the McKenzie Tan also. I shave my hides thin, too, and believe it is the tan itself preventing the stretch. Like George, I love most of McKenzie's products, but will definitely try the JRT creme next. I used to do submersion tans, too, and still do sometimes.

I am VERY curious about the John Rinehart brush on tan, though.

-Jeff

2. Mike A

Mike A New Member

I have used Mckenzie tan on everything from weasels to cape buffaloesand i have never had a problem with it. I shave my hides super thin and I get the same amount of stretch with it as I would if I used Liqua Tan, Rinehart's or Rittels.
    Mike

3. I have used Rineharts tan for 22 years without any problems. About 800 heads. I use it with out any pickle
    I have heads in my show room that are that old and still look as good as the day i did them. I promise you you won,t go wrong using this tan.

4. jerrystaxidermyhunter

jerrystaxidermyhunter get stuffed at jerrys

i use mckenze tan just put capes on cape strecher no trouble.

5. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

I have no problem with McKenzie tan.I actually got an inch more on my last cape than it had.As far as the smell I like it.AS far as the other side.I could pull on the hair and pull and it will not come out.

6. John W.

John W. New Member

I had similar results as George did.Mike Gillis couldn't believe it when I told him there was no stretch like I got when using liqua-tan.He ask me whether I would try another quart-free of course-,so I did and had the same results-lack of stretch,but the quart had plenty of bounce when it hit the trash!! ;D

7. Roger E

Roger E Member

MT
    JRT is a much better product in my opinion, the McKenzie tan is a huge disappointment...but I HAD to try it...to the tune of 2 gallons with the first order...(no stretch, loss of size...with the SAME amount of shaving/thinning the JRT , Liqua-tan, and the submerssibles get)...an inferior product, if you like it, then try the others, you will think you have died and gone to Heaven...

8. yoteman

yoteman New Member

Great for Small game

I love McKenzie tan for small game. I use it for all of my thin skinned stuff but I quit using on deer. Had too many problems with slipping. I always use for squirrels to coys.

9. bear happy

bear happy New Member

I am krowtanning but, what about getting a soft tan for a customer who wants to through it across the coffee table with out sending it out?

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

For a soft tan you are going to need a tumbler to break that hide down.

11. ed150

ed150 deer city time

we use mckenzie tan also,fair strech

12. michaelf

michaelf New Member

Used it once and no stretch at all. Will stay with EZ-100 and Liqua-Tan. I have to admit after hearing George tout JRTS for so long I tried it on a skunk and I was very happy with it and that is what I use on the small stuff now.

13. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

After applying McKenzie tan roll the hide up and let it set out a few hours, then bag it and let it sweat in the fridge over night. It will improve your stretch alot!

14. Nothing will improve the stretch on that shizit. Its in the same class to me as Krowpreserve.

15. Dave B

Dave B New Member

This has always been a strange subject for me, I switched from Kwik-n-ez to mckenzie tan with the same stretch and results.
    It boggles me that some people have good streth and some have none, using the same product.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dave, you need to pass along some of those people's names who've had good results with it. I never complained about the lack of stretch. I complained that the damned stuff actually SHRUNK my skins where no stretching in the world could make a 19 inch cape fit a 19 inch form. And I did it BY THE BOOK on more than a few attempts. I'm just thankful McKenzie still sells John Rinehart Tanning Solution though I'm a bit pissed that they changed THAT recipe somewhat. Their best best would be to trash their recipe and just sell JRTS.

17. George, I called Rineharts when they changed the tanning cream. I talked to some guy that said they changed from a powdered chemical to a liquid chemical and there should be no difference but i personally think there a lot of difference between then.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I agree. I HATE those silly assed noodles that form when you let it set.

19. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I must concur with George. As long as you buy a form an inch smaller than the meat measurements, you will get by with McK Tan. I can't stretch a McK Tan skin at all. As a matter of fact I get shrinkage (my experience). Liquatan is also somewhat limited in stretch IMO, but at least it doesn't seem to lose size.
    If you want stretch, and George will get me for saying this, use Krowtann. Geez! The skin is like elastic, spandex, whatever. Everyone makes such a big deal about stretch though. Who wants to strectch a skin beyond what it was to begin with? You end up exposing the shank of the hair and alter the perceived coloration of the animal, because you end up seeing the shaft color instead of the tip coloration. I think the goal is to make the animal what it looked like to begin with. Don't Y'all?

20. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

First off, there are 3 things that increase stretch, in my opinion. A good pickle, a good shave job, and a good oil. I don't think the tannage is responsible for a increase in stretch, but depending on what is used for the tannage, it can cause a lack of stretch. What are the ingredients? Anybody know?
    Second, I read their directions. You shouldn't try to freeze a salted skin. It wont freeze throughly. Stopping the process, and freezing a skin in mid process, as they said you could do, is risky to me. Maybe people do it all the time, but I wouldn't. A pickled skin, is laden with salt, and wont freeze well either. Maybe I'm wrong, since I have never tried this, but it doesn't make since to me.
    No one can say for sure, but my guess here, is that the oil, in the solution, is not compatable with the tannage. A tell tale sign, would be a skin that feels oily, because the oil is not penetrating, and bonding, with the fibers. Who knows!