1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

your thoughts on Mckenzie tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by buckrunner34, Apr 11, 2007.

1. I flesh all my deer capes then dry them till there hard but still have some soft spots. Then I freeze them till I'm ready to tan them. I use Rineharts tan and I never have any problems. I freeze them so they don't get any dryer so they soak up faster.

2. paul e

paul e New Member

im with George
    i tried the McKenzie Tann got zero stretch and had to reorder forms
    when i get a good fresh hide i use JRTS
    FANTASTIC STRETCH
    i dont put um on bigger forms
    it just makes um easier to mount up

3. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    I am with you on this one George.

4. gary870

gary870 New Member

We used mckenzie tan at American Institute of Taxidermy in Wisconsin and both my fisher cat and deer and my friends' coyote and deer smell and its 18 months later. And its not a good smell although not too strong. I prefer Krowtann for sure.

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I think the smell is just the nature of the product. I have stuff I used it on and they also smell. Not bad really, kinda like OrangeGlo. Did you rinse them to remove unabsorbed oil? I think the stuff works fine, just no stretch in my experience with it. I'm sure it tans just the same as the next product.

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

God I hate to do this, but...I think McKenzie tan is the best brush on tan Ive used to date. I thought it when it came out, and I still do. And I kinda know what Im doing, you might say. Theres a few factors to getting stretch before the tan is even applied, but thats a tough argument, especially for those of you who are getting good stretch with one product, but not with McKenzie tan. That would suggest youre doing the other steps correctly. I cringe at those who say they dont pickle, but I wont bother getting into that one. If you flesh and salt as usual, relax and pickle and at that point, still have a fully relaxed skin, I just cant see how the tan is going to lose some stretch, at least with brush ons. When I tried others in the past, the tan pooled on the surface. The McKenzie soaks right into the skin, and the hair on the other side has oil on it then too. A few hours sweating, an overnight in the freezer and then its off to the sawdust to clean and its ready and stretchy. It truly is odd how people can have such different results with the same product, but I do have a great suggestion for you all...if the stuff aint working that well, send it all to me, Ill dispose of it properly for you!!!

7. Bill I think what I was doing is not neutralizing properly. Cyclone help me figure out that just because my well water has a ph of 5 or 6 right out of the well I still needed to add baking soda. He challenged me to check the ph after I neutralized without adding baking soda and it had dropped to 3. I did it the other day with baking soda and it did not show any significant drop. I still prefere ez100 though.

8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I will agree with Bill that it penetrates well. It goes all the way through and wicks to the ends of the hair on the hair side. I was surprised at that.

9. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I guess ya gotta use whatever works best for you. Im puzzled that more guys dont agree its a really good tan, though. Oh well, thats the biz.

10. Well every one knows that i am against tanning yourself....i send every thing out...Its just i dont have time to do it myself.....but i just bought a jug of McKenzie tan for the first time...I needed to get a lynx tanned and mounted pretty quick.....I did every thing as the directions said to do and i am amazed how good that tan came out.....i have great stretch......not to crazy about the smell, but after i washed it in pert+ with conditioner now it smells great,.....so then i decided to try it on one of my shop dall sheep capes....now this is the 2nd time for me using this tan, And again, great stretch and nice results...

Now if McKenzie would like to sponsor me and my shop, i will use it all the time.....LOL

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, I'm happy for you guys and I hope your good fortune continues. I never once said that I didn't like the tan, just the results. I used it on an Asiatic water buffalo and got fantastic results. Then I tried it on deer and that's when it went down the tubes. In my "testing" I used it right beside JRTS and if any of you try it, JRTS does exactly the same thing with the same results, MINUS THE SHRINKAGES. Once burned, twice shy. Never again.

12. Sounds like my ex-wife. :'(

13. John W.

John W. New Member

Its just what I tell everybody ,what works for one may not work for another .I respect Bill Yox alot ,but I've come up with different results.Ya just have to see what works best for you and go with it.;D

14. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

This post made me nervous! I usually send out my tanning but decided this seasnon I would take on tanning and give it a try. I decided on the Mckenzie tan. I already had capes tanning when I came across this post so you can understand my concern when I read what everybody had to say. Well the results are in..we love it! Im very happy with the results. I have a couple of test subjects still drying so we'll see what the final result are in a couple of weeks. The capes were very workable. Lots of stretch / elasticity, etc.