1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Winter coon bait

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dr. JJ, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Dr. JJ

Dr. JJ New Member

Hello all, Brand new trapper and having some success so far. 4 Coons, a possum, and a skunk. Home tanning is going ok so far. Just wondering what you guys might suggest for a winter bait that can work with say 8 - 10 inches of snow on the ground ? I hate to slow down now !!

2. Huntress

Huntress Member

My cold weather sets always have a skunk based lure….either a drop of pure skunk essence or the commercial lure Gusto. Bait is usually just tainted meat…sometimes with a little fish or fish oil.
    The colder it gets the less the coons move so try to set close to the dens…barns, hollow trees, bank dens.

3. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I use a tablespoon of good old strawberry Jam .

4. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

Canned cat food if you arent worried about non-target species.

5. Dr. JJ

Dr. JJ New Member

Thanks guys. I will try all of them

6. you can also try the forum at trapperman.com That forum is to trappers much as this forum is to taxidermists.

7. The best all around lure for me is eatwell sardines, there cheap A can goes a long way to. I use it during the trapping season (cold weather). don't know why anyone would need any other coon bait. I will have 25 coon out of 30 traps set most of the time. just takes about a tablespoon full per trap.

8. Dr. JJ

Dr. JJ New Member

Thanks Haffs, I will check that out. Thanks Toxic for the advice, I will try those as well. Got a couple cans of Tuna wired up right now. Im gonna move my traps to a new spot this weekend and try all of these suggestions.

9. Heck

Heck Active Member

When I trapped, I would find the cheapest kipper snacks or canned SMOKED fish of some sort. Do not open the can - I would just punch some holes in it with my knife, then you can drip the juice for a trail and set the bait UNDER the trap either live box trap (Under trap & under trip pan)or foot trap. Makes them need to dig for it. and they still cannot consume bait.....making it good for another set! ;) The dollar store is where I would shop for bait. ;D

10. Dr. JJ

Dr. JJ New Member

Lol, I been wiring the cans to a tree to prevent them from being carted off. I lost 2 cans the 1st day none since but I have still had the can emptied. Under the trap makes alot more sense. Great advice, Much appreciated !!

11. Heck

Heck Active Member

And by setting the foot trap on the can helps to keep the trap jaws from freezing down. Just dig a little deeper to make a flush set. ;) Damn I miss trappin!! :)