1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hunt ? for u Texas guys&gals

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BDrake, Nov 17, 2011.

1. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

Do you have any pics of an axis buck and you know the beam length? My wie really wants to shoot an axis, we only have Jan. to hunt.
    I`am trying to judge the racks but need a pic for reference.
    Also do any of you know a good ranch in texas where you will get a shot at a roughly 30" buck?
    B

2. Around 28"
    [​IMG]
    Right at 31"
    [​IMG]
    Around 27"
    [​IMG]

Axis hunting in January is marginal. Very few will be fully grown or hard horned. I had a good hunt at Forister Exotics LLC in Rocksprings. I hunted Fallow, but they had alot of good axis.

3. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

I know now that Jan is a bad timefor them.
    Those are some sweet mounts.
    Ithink my wife now wants a Dyboski Sika or Spotted Fallow. We are going to a small ranch in Burdet to hunt mouflon, ect. and then want to go to another ranch for something else. Contacted VonNetver ranch but was told there is a four yr. wait.
    Thanks Hugh

4. gab

gab Active Member

this one ended up being 31 .there are tons of ranches down here.sika and fallow have usually lost points or main beam fighting that late in the year.

Attached Files:

5. chongo

chongo Member

On the hoof, the antlers can be very deceptive. If you take the length from the burr to his nose, you can then try to estimate beam length from that. Try to measure him when he looks at you, as opposed to a side profile; if his beams are over four "heads" in length, he should be very good (more than 30). If you only get a side view of his beams, then the length might vary considerably due to the shape of his rack from the front- wishbone, light bulb, or nearly straight.

6. ExtreamTaxidermy

ExtreamTaxidermy New Member

Texas
    YO Ranch has 30" Axis all day. I shot a 34" and a 32" there this summer. Amazing how many animals they have. You want it they got it.