1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cull buck??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by buckmaster14, Nov 17, 2011.

1. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

Got this deer on cam the other night. appears to be a 2.5 year old spike. If the opportunity presents its self, should i weed him out or let him go and see if he can make anything better of himself?

[​IMG]

2. buckmaster14

heres an 8 point about the same age i believe..

[​IMG]

3. weaver

weaver New Member

let him walk

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Doesn't look 2.5 to me

5. buckmaster14

Here is our 1.5 deer.

[​IMG]

6. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: Re: Cull buck??

i agree! Do you want to spot him? If so then do it...i never ask anybody if I should our should not shoot.....it's my choice. If you think he needs to weeded at two and a half I will disagree......just ask bill yox about his spike buck.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

All three deer look like 1.5 year old deer. Look at how sleek they are. Chest isn't filled, no paunch, straight backs. My own family room is filled with good to great bucks and I hear guys all the time lamenting that they "will never get one like that". I tell them they're right simply because they're always shooting immature deer. If you shoot one of those, they'll never mature and while you're field dressing it and screwing up the woods, the big guy who was waiting to see what happened to his "decoy" before coming out has now left the woods and you never saw him. There is no such thing as a cull deer outside of game farms and high fences. ANY deer, given good nutrition and good health will grow into a good to great deer.

8. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

All 1 1/2s

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

No, that is a 1.5 year old deer, but that doesn't mean they all look like that.

10. That's his first set of antlers so I would let him walk. Also, I think I see brow tines, so not a spike.

11. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Let him walk. The 8 point is the only one that appears like he could be a 2.5 year old deer. I wouldn't worry too much with culling bucks unless you're positive the deer will never go to another property. Just let them grow up then make the decision.

12. Steven .B

Steven .B New Member

All look like 1 1/2 years old.. I live here in PA where they have been doing a study now for about 10 years.. 80% of the 1.5 year old buck are spike's and four points that leaves about 20% that are above average which would be your 8 point.. Be side's that Doesn't mean he won't produce A nice set of antlers he may not produce what the 8 will but will still have a good set if you let him get old enough.. That's the problem around my parts most deer don't live long enough to get to that point Good luck in what ever you choose..

13. justin_b

justin_b Just sayin...

WI
    Hey there Buckmaster - Unless your "cull" program involves shooting off your 1 1/2 yo deer, I'd say you'd be wise to let him go.

14. There's been quite a bit of research done on the whole "cull buck" theory on large texas ranches. Unless you are managing thousands of high fenced acres, shooting "cull bucks" doesn't do a lick of good because he likely has already bred a doe or two and there's nothing to prevent another 1.5 year old deer with similar genetics from immigrating to your farm from a neighbor's farm. Leave him until he's mature, if he's a deer you want to shoot, then shoot him. If not, enjoy watching the behavior of a mature buck.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I think Yox said,, if I remember right,, that some bucks do not blossom until they hit 3 or 4 years old. So small racks is not a sign of needing "culled".

16. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I've seen a 190+ buck on a game farm that was a spike his first year. Also, aging deer from photos is not is not an exact science. I would let him walk. But if you need the meat, he'll eat every bit as good as a 4.5 year old eight point.

17. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

I was thinking the same thing. I read a study once where they had two huge ranches in texas, one where they culled bucks that didnt have 5 points per side and one where they targeted mature bucks. after 10 years there was absolutely no difference in the trophy quality on both ranches. I dont buy in to the "cull" thing all that much, unless you have a ton of property and a really in depth management plan.

18. chongo

chongo Member

The "cull" thing could only work if you cull the genetically inferior does, as well as the bucks. Since nobody can successfully discern in the field good genetics among does, there is no point. Just trying to cull the bucks does no good because the "cully" females will continue to breed and spread their bad genetics.