1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shaving/Thinning using hand tools

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DowningAir, Nov 17, 2011.

1. DowningAir

DowningAir New Member

New to the forum, I've researched the archives for many of my questions and have gained a lot of information doing so. I appreciate the content on the forum and the knowledge that is shared.

I'm getting ready to start my first hobby mounts (3 of them) and am trying to decide the best way of preparing the hide, dry preserve or tanning. Obviously tanning will be better in the long run and it is my preferred method. My concern lies mostly in the act of shaving/thinning the hide after the tanning has been done. I'm not at the point where I want to invest in a bench shaver or even a mini one. I have the tools necessary to flesh the capes either way. I would just be reserved to using hand knives for the shaving/thinning process.

Would I be able to do an adequate job of shaving/thinning using hand tools, or would I be better off just using DP for the first few ones. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. BRTX

BRTX New Member

Not saying it was fun, but I thinned my first one (a whitetail shoulder mount), by hand with a skife.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You really do not need to thin anything from a deer on down in size. And tanning is better in the long run,, however, a tan will not help your first worst mounts last any longer then when you throw them away next year, after you see all the mistakes you made while guessing at mounting.

4. Send them to a tannery, when you get them back they should be sufficiently thinned except for the face and any other areas you can finish with a skife or blade.

5. DowningAir

DowningAir New Member

I appreciate the help! I'll be sure to check back in with my crappy mounts once they're complete, haha.