1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preference on skinning mountain lions for l/s???????

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by elkmasterwyo, Nov 21, 2011.

1. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Getting ready to skin my first tonight, what's your favorite way to do it for l/s???

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I try to have all my seams in placed they can't be easily seen. That's why I prefer a rug cut on mine.

3. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

How far up the chest do you normally split them?

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Really!? You haven't noticed the post on skinning methods? ::)

How to skin a beat
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,285501.0.html
    (Amazing this guy has not gone back and corrected the spelling! :mad: But still "How to skin a ..." is a dead giveaway ;))

5. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Not asking how, I know the methods. Just curious what y'all prefer and has worked best for you on cougars, I've never had any experience with them

6. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

x2

If you do any altering with the form, you will be glad you cut it this way. Plus, it is easier to get the maximum size out of your cat.

7. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

everyone has thier favorite way to do it. either dorsal or ventral. I personally prefer the dorsal. Its sometimes way more difficult to sew up a ventral incision, especially on those crouching mounts where its near impossible to get into those armpit areas without pre-sewing part of it first. Sometimes a dorsal cut means you'll have to foam some parts of your form back together after they have been inserted into the skin.

8. i've been mounting a lot of my lifesize with only a case incision lately. i cut the form in pieces and bondo it back together inside the hide. done it on bobcats, lynx, fishers, coyotes, and fox.
    don't know why it would'nt work on a mountain lion. case incision is easily sewed and will never show.
    steve

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

All the lions I get it are rug cut so I really don't have a choice on how they are skinned. I personally like my big cats this way as they are easier to fit to the form.