1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

head casting

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by CR, Nov 22, 2011.

1. CR

CR New Member

I sometimes will cast my own heads, using bondo and fiberglass resin, just think that a cast of a birds own head looks much better, but I shot a Comomon merganser, and would like to do a open mouth on it but have never cast a head with a open mouth. are there any tricks to this? do I seperate halves?? Or do I just order one, many many good ones out there Im sure!!

2. I have done one open mouth as an experiment. I cut the head in half and molded it in 2 parts using tube silicone. Then I painted the halves and fitted back together. It turned out pretty good. If you buy one, won't you have to still cut it in half to paint the inside ?

3. RDA

RDA Active Member

mergansers can be easily inverted so your only making more work by attempting to use an artificial head. If you cast the dead head, you will be casting a shrunken bill anyhow so there is litterally no advantage to casting here. The main reason we use cast heads is for the shrinkage of the bill.

4. masterblaster

masterblaster New Member

this really isnt my world.. birds i mean.. i stumbled on this while looking for a way to preserve large bird wings.. but i do know mold making and casting.. you should try something called knead a mold.. it takes a little while to get perfect but it is super easy to use and you can cast just about anything with it.. this company is based in my home town they will ship anywhere and they have awesome stuff check them out.. http://townsendatelier.com/

5. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

no you shouldn't have to cut a head apart to paint the inside of the mouth,,I used the silicone caulk method to cast a hen mallard open mouth for a decoy ,,it was tough to get it back off but looked good. Agree with ron you can invert a merganser ,though I still skin them around the bill .

6. RDA

RDA Active Member

between the mix of speed, ease, and quality, using the real bill and inverting is a wise choice imo. Its really QUITE EASY to rebuild the shinkage on those gansers and you have no glueing. One can still use an artificial head by cutting the real head off at the base of the bill and replacing it with a carved (my option) or cut off commercial head. Or do my half skull techniques which i often opt for. This applies specificlly to the meganser crowd..(not to mention that your just going to cast a dead shruknen bill anyhoo)..

7. bulldawg

bulldawg Member

Ok Ron, I'll bite. Whats your half skull technique? I got a OM lawndart to do soon myself.

8. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Casting a bill of a freshly killed bird (Merg) is a better option than using the real bill and the shrinkage that will follow for years to come.

9. RDA

RDA Active Member

shrinkage to follow for years to come??? Sorry RIck but i have no idea what you speak of. Ive seen thirty year old mergansers mounted by me with the techniques ive described and the rebuild is as good as day one....

10. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Maybe a Merg is different...But, I've seen plenty of old waterfowl mounts with the real bill that look like tooth picks. Rebuilding with Apoxie is time consuming, not to mention it's not cheap and I'm just guessing for the average Joe...Is not easy. I'm sure you've got it down pat though, Ron! Just my 2 cents.

11. RDA

RDA Active Member

I just never cut a bird any where that i dont have to..sort of a golden rule if you will..

and Buldawg,, i would be happy to give you some skype lessons on the half head as well as hybrid head techniques ive developed over the years, see my ad in the training section...