1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

small mammal tails

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by RICKP, Nov 22, 2011.

1. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Does anyone know of a tutorial or just some photo's of putting together the tail section for small mammals?
    I am mounting a skunk and not sure about the tail. It has a long wire coming out of the form but, there has to be more to it then sticking the wire up in the tail skin.
    Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rick

2. GSD

GSD New Member

You can buy foam tails from the taxidermy supply companies. You can also make your own by wrapping with cotton & string (using the wire as the core). Whatever works best for you. Were the tail meets the body, blend the joint with a bit of clay.

3. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

That's kind of what I was thinking so I'm glad you said it.
    Thanks

4. JustinNH

JustinNH New Member

I have skinned a lot of skunks for trapping and there can be a lot of fat in the tails.

On my list of mounts to do though, so be sure to put up a pic when you are done! (please)

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

There are a few different ways to do tails. Some wrap them with cotton and string to get the shape,some buy the pre-formed foam tails, some roll out a log of clay in the shape of the tail bone and freeze it till it's solid and slide it in then add the wire, and some pump caulking into them.
    I've done all and they all work great.

6. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Thank you all for the ideas, I will work through which one will work best for me and get'er done..
    I hope he mounts up good, I have plans with the maintenance department here at the county court house for him to come visit one early morning. There will also be a Possum hanging around on the pipes down by the break room in the basement.

7. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

You can also apply hot glue to the wire and build up a flexible tail that way. Be prepared to get some burns on your fingers.