1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

painting freeze dried turkey hesd

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by montana art, Nov 22, 2011.

1. montana art

montana art New Member

N.C.
    what's the best way to clean paint from hairs and feathers after painting? Used lacquer paint, that's not good huh?

2. hmw

hmw New Member

I use lacquer thinner on a q-tip and roll the paint off

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Buy a tube of black waterproof mascara. The brush will paint the hairs while keeping it off the painted head.

4. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Ditto

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I do this as well George, the only issue I have had is sometimes it wants to cake or ball up on the feathers of the head.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

6. montana art

montana art New Member

N.C.
    OmG just saw I spelled head with an s , hey thanks George! thanks to the rest too! Started painting the hairs with a fine tip brush but knew someone had to have a better way. thanks again.

7. Ptrrorem

Ptrrorem New Member

I clean the mascara brush well and dip in a little laquer thinner but u have to be very slow and do just the tips, then mascara thinned out a little.e

8. Birds Only

Birds Only Member

Im with Brett, stay close (don't get in a hurry and get a good paint gun) and you want get all the overspray. My opinion on plucking the hairs and then glue back, I wouldn't, looks fake to me once you do that.

9. George

Birds Only - Brett, some of us are actually full service taxidermists and we understand that our customers never appreciate the details we impose on ourselves. I'm not about to spend 4 hours avoiding hair feathers. I'm also not using the cheap mascara you guys seem to be familiar with. BTW I, for one, would like to see one of your heads where you avoided every single hair.

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

They are right George, it's not difficult to do. (Does require a quality brush though) Doesn't take me any longer avoiding the feathers. Same applies for pheasant heads.

11. George

I'm not about to give an unsolicited critique, but suffice it to say I prefer my method.
    Perhaps some of you CAN blendthat paint realistically but I'm not that person. My customers seem happy with their mounts so I'll have stick with mascara.

12. brettdef

brettdef Member

Montana Art

If you would like to learn a way to avoid this problem give me a call and I will be glad to assist you with what little I have found out over the years.

Brett D