1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

best way to freeze cape with skull/antlers in?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ginevive, Nov 25, 2011.

1. I hate a WT that needs to go in the freezer. It is caped out, and still has the skull and antlers intact. Best way to freeze? I don't want it to get freezerburn, but it seems hard to wrap it up with the rack, a decent 8-point. Should I just wrap plastic around the head up to the base of the antlers? I really do not have the space at this exact moment to remove the skull/antlers, and will have to keep it frozen for up to a month in a chest freezer.

Also: what's the best temperature to freeze (everything from skins and skinned bodies, to whole frozens) in?

2. I should add. I have it whole in the freezer now, frozen. It's wrapped pretty well with garbage bags, wrapped close around the antler bases.

3. Tannertroop

Tannertroop Member

It should not get freezer burned in just a months time. Don't leave the ears exposed out of the bag. They will burn first.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

How much space do you need to skin it off of the head?

5. Thanks; I wrapped it up good, and covered the ears up well.

I have to clear out a work space for this in my spare room; don't want to do it at the kitchen table. :)

6. Ive left my own deer in the freezer for 4 months before with no problems at all.Ive had people bring me heads that were frozen for a year and had Reilly no problems with them besides the ears

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

You don't have a picnic table outside to do it on? You can put cardboard on the kitchen table, it is only a half hour job.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

It only takes a few minutes to cape it off the head, and then it will be much easier in the long run to thaw out for you. It is actually more work if you freeze the whole head, hope it works out for you.