1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please critique!!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Beckham, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Beckham

Beckham Member

Nice Muley muzz from the bookcliffs!! Please any critiques would be gratefully appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. quest

quest Member

Utah
    Not to bad. It looks like you used black paint on the nose. I got points taken away from me one time at out taxidermy show and was informed there's no black paint on a deer nose its a variation of different color browns . Id work on your ear butt muscle structure. There a very good DVD out By Tom Weickum on mounting a mule deer sold through WASCO -- Wildlife Artist Supply Company you want go wrong if you get it.

quest

3. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Eyes and nostrils are not shaped correctly need to look at some reference

4. Beckham

Beckham Member

Thanks Quest!! I did order the DvD of Tom Wikeim yesterday. I need help on ear butts!! I did buy some WASCO reference casts of ear butts but I did not think they were much help for me as a newbie?? I also have a reference cast of a mule deer nose but I bought it after I had mounted this deer. I thought that my nose was pretty close to accurate from the images that I had got from Taxi net??? I just bought a reference album from trufitt and plan on getting another from Mckenzie this week. elkmasterwyo why do you say my eyes were off? I know that the pictures were not up close but I do have some eye pictures just not finished eyes on this deer!! I would love to get a critique from you on the close ups??

Thanks for all who replied to this post!! I just want to be a better taxi and you guys have helped a ton. I am trying to learn and am not afraid to get it handed to me so if anyone else see's anything please comment.

5. Front quadrant of upper eye needs to be raised, nostrils appear elongated. not a bad mount all in all. It is as good as most taxis up here have going out to customers.
    Kevin

6. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Exactly what i was seeing in it, that front quadrant of the eye should be slightly highter than the back. And the back of the nostril could have stopped 1/4-1/2" before it does, one more thing i just noticed is the juncture between the ear and earbutt material is visible, there is a line around it showing where the clay stopped

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Can you show what you mean w/ a reference photo?

8. Beckham

Beckham Member

Cole I think he is referring to this?? I will post some of the eye work pre paint as I dont have any pictures of the finished eyes.

Attached Files:

9. Beckham

Beckham Member

Close up pictures of the eyes before paint.

Attached Files:

10. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

11. Beckham

Beckham Member

Thanks for all the input guys it really does make a big difference!! :)

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Those aren't reference pictures, but they will work. The back corners of the eye SHOULD be higher than the front in most cases. I'm not saying the eye doesn't need work, just that I don't agree with the description of it's problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. madarchery

madarchery callmaker

Just learning here.

But the last post by cole. You reference pics are of a different head angle from the O.P. pics. You are showing eye angle being wrong but if you tilt the head down as in your pics it seems right to me.

Am I seeing something not there?

14. Beckham

Beckham Member

Cole, I have never heard about the back of the eye being higher? ???What are the other problems you see?

15. Beckham

Beckham Member

Just so everyone knows that was not my picture of the eye reference with the lines. i just picked that up as reference (Taxi-net). I do use it as reference but it was not my clay work.