1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bondo ears warped

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bonhed, Nov 26, 2011.

1. bonhed

bonhed Click, Click......Boom!

A few weeks ago I mounted a Mule Deer and bondoed the ears, 2 days after mounting I went on vacation for 10 days. When I came home both ears had turned in(folded) on the top side. I have done bondo ears before and never had a problem, never had to card, etc...Have any of you experienced this and gotten them back into shape? If I can find a heat gun I might try and heat them up and card them, do you think that will damage the mount? I will put some pictures up tonight, can't right now.

Thanks for your help.

2. You left during the drying time. hum sounds like thats your problem.

did you mix bondo and polyester resin 50/50 did you add fiberglass chop tothe mix??

3. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

I'd say no To the heartgun theory I'd think heat would do nothing but further dry the hide and burn hair if your not careful

4. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

Hair dryer, no heat gun. No problem.

5. verne

verne Well-Known Member

ear liners ;D

6. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I had one once slide against something on its ear. I think it set there for weeks maybe even months. I didn't realize it was resting on it ear till it was too late. Ear just bent over time. I heated the ear with a hair dryer, reshaped it and carded it. Worked out fine with no problems!

7. bonhed

bonhed Click, Click......Boom!

Kind of late for that. I have done earliners before and was not satisfied with the results, I think bondo is quicker, easier and looks better, a little more customizable. I have done several with bondo and never had a problem, once the bondo sets, its done! 30 minutes max! Just so happens that this one had something unusual and I can deal with that. I haven't had a chance to take any pictures, but I will post before and after pics when I do it.

Thanks for the input.