1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

? about a goose we killed this weekend

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Sprigman, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Sprigman

Sprigman Member

We shot this goose while duck hunting this weekend and noticed something different about it when I went to pick it up. It has a white ring around it's neck like a mallard drake would have. In looking around the internet I think it's an Aleutian Cackling Goose. What do you think ? Sorry for the bad picture but only one I took that half way shows the white ring.

Attached Files:

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like an Aleutian, plus they are very rare outside of Alaska and some parts of the west coast.
    It looks like an extra pretty, very mature Richardson's to me. I think that all of the different types of Canadas can sometimes get white neck rings, especially if they live long enough, and a few of them can even get white patches on their foreheads, but it's not common in most of them.

With Aleutians, the white neck ring is the default and it is much more pronounced. Cacklers and maximas get it fairly often too, but it's optional on them.

3. Sprigman

Sprigman Member

Thanks, Nancy. I was hoping you would chime in here. I just wasn't sure what is was. I did take it out of the freezer and snap another pic that shows the white ring a little better from the under side. We don't normally shoot a lot of geese but I thought this one looked different with the white ring.

Attached Files:

4. young taxidermist

young taxidermist New Member

dang neck rings must be the new style for birds. I just posted a thread on this very subject.

5. nate

nate Active Member

Sprigman, If you dont want that bird, I'll take it! LOL! Been looking for one like that! Or a real nice speck! ;) ;D

6. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Aleutians have a more bronzed look to them as well.

7. sprigkiller09

sprigkiller09 New Member

Aleutian would be about half that size with a very short stubby culmen, puffy head, and usually the neck rings are significantly larger and usually have a black shade below the neck ring into the breast. Im guessing that is a lesser or an even bigger subspecies. All subspecies of Canada and cackling geese are capable of having neck rings.

8. Sprigman

Sprigman Member

Nate, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I don't really want it nor do I have room for it. My brother in law actually shot this one and if he don't want it you can have it.

9. We shoot 1 or 2 geese like that almost every time we hunt here in PA.

10. sprigkiller09

sprigkiller09 New Member

Here is an Aleutian with some west coast cacklers (minima) from this past weekend. All are adults. Realize the cacklers arent much bigger than a drake mallard and the Aleutian is about 1/3 bigger.

[​IMG]

11. nate

nate Active Member

Sweet! Thanks! if he decides not to keep it, just let me know what I owe you for shipping.

12. We get a couple lessers late season every year that have white neck rings

13. derbrans

derbrans New Member

14. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Left to right in the above picture are cackler, cackler, cackler, aleutian, cackler, and cackler.

15. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

looks like a lessor to me we shot them all the time here in minn bout the size of a mallard no big deal