1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

deer with only 5 teeth

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by tschuppan, Nov 29, 2011.

1. tschuppan

tschuppan New Member

I was aging a bunch of deer jaws when i noticed that 2 sets had only 5 teeth on bottom sides but they came out of deer that were at least 3 years old does anybody know anything about this

2. bmxkid313

bmxkid313 New Member

when do they start to get the 6th tooth? im cleaning a skull and today i noticed that on the jaw and skull it only has 5 teeth and there is a little opening were the 6th tooth is about to come out of.

3. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

A fawn will only have 3 or 4 teeth.
    A yearling can have 5 or 6 depending on when they were born. Early birth having 6 and late birth having 5. The telltale signage tooth is the 3rd tooth back. It is called the milk tooth. At birth this tooth has a 3 cusp crown to it and usually is in place until around 1 1/2 years old. It is however replaced at two years old with a 2 cusp crowned tooth. At 2 1/2 years old the 6th tooth will be fully emerged. On anything younger that 6th tooth will not be fully emerged. At 3 years old all teeth are perminent teeth and dentine wear and cusp wear is what you have to have knowledge of to determine age by teeth.

It is likely you are not dealing with 3 year old deer. The number of teeth present say differently. Hope that helps. Tim

4. Hope this helps http://www.buckmanager.com/2007/01/19/age-determination-using-jaw-bones/
    Helpful too http://bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/deer/aging/
    It has to be a older fawn, at a year and a half or so they should have all 6 teeth

5. tschuppan

tschuppan New Member

Heres a couple of pictures Tried to get as clear as possible

Attached Files:

6. tschuppan

tschuppan New Member

heres 1 more i was looking at the 5th tooth back from the front or the last mollar all 3 ridges are exsposed and show a little wear

Attached Files:

7. EastonWest

EastonWest What we do in North Dakota, STAYS here.

5 teeth means its under a year and a half of age. at 1 1/2 years, they will have 6 teeth with the front one being a tri-cuspid. At 2 1/2 years this tooth will have fallen out and been replaced by a bi-cuspid. After this aging them starts to get a little more difficult.

8. Hey Tim.. Question for ya..

Can you accurately age deer by the mature teeth/wear on the incisors like you can sheep/goats/cows? Just curious...

9. antlerman

Yes Shelby you can up to a point. After 6.5 years it gets very difficult.

10. antlerman

tschuppan, it does appear that you do have an oddity there. In your second picture it is obvious that there are only 5 teeth present and the third(milk) tooth is a two cuspid permanent tooth. As with every rule, there are those expections. This is where ring analysis takes over.

11. tschuppan

tschuppan New Member

Not a professional at ageing deer but i thought this just didn't look right thanks guys for the help