1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey of the Month "December" 2011

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by brettdef, Dec 1, 2011.

1. brettdef

brettdef Member

Well this will be the last month of 2011. This year has flown by and it seems the older you get the faster it goes. What's up with that. I think we should get funding from the government from the time we graduate school until we are 65 then start working so we can enjoy life while we are younger. Maybe they will take that into consideration. Enough with that I guess I will get back to work. I want to thank all of you that posted last month and let you know that your birds looked very nice. Also I would like to have a continuation of the tip started by John aka BirdsOnly. I told him a few years ago that mounting turkeys was not as complicated as everyone makes it. I fell into that same group of people for years. I finally figured out that it was not that complicated if you get off to a good start. You have to have a good foundation which is the form and if its not close you will have issues. I have used every form on the market in the past and I have figured out a way to make them all work. There is a learning curve with them all. I know several of the guys that have made turkey forms and they are all good taxidermist as well. The forms that I have developed came from years of frustration and feathers on the floor. It all comes down to the feathers. The correct body size helps tremendously and that is another topic but I like my skin to fit pretty snug. I have designed my bodies to work that way so the skin is in the correct place without pinning if you have a good fit to begin with. The comment I made to John was ITS ALL IN THE FEATHERS is a very true statement. If you will just look at the feathers and let them tell you where they want to be your work will be alot less frustrating. You have to find a way to go through all the tracks of feathers and groom them from the quill out to the end of the feather. If the quill is not in the right place the feather end will not go where it needs to be. If the skin is not in the right place the quill is not in the right place. That's why its important to understand where the skin goes on the body and you must have the correct body for all this to work consistently. I used to be able to do this ever once in a while but not consistant and the reason was I was using caulk for a filler instead of using the correct body size and just letting the body do its job. For all this to make sense I guess I'm trying to say use a body that the skin fits fairly snug and only use enough caulk for it to act as an adhesive instead of a filler. This way you can duplicate what you have done each time and then it will be as simple as positioning the body and fitting the skin then finding a way that works for you to make sure the skin is lined up all the way around the body. Once that is done you can go through and caulk and groom the feather tracks one at a time. I use the caulk as a filler in the scaps but that is the only place I use it as a filler everywhere else its just about a 1/4 inch thick so the quills have enough to stay attached to the body. This topic is very hard to explain with out seeing it and like alot of things in taxidermy you have to practice it over and over again for it to make sense to you. You can watch someone do something and its looks easy until you try it yourself. I hope this will start the ball rolling and we can have some good discussion about this topic this month. Maybe someone else can put it into words that others can understand better that what I have done. Just try to remember that the more you do the better you will get and it takes time to get better. Don't give up just keep trying and take pictures as you go and sometimes this will help you remember what you have done for the next bird. Grooming is very important and it can make a bad bird look very good but if the anatomy is not correct your grooming will only take you so far. When you get the anatomy right you will find out that the grooming will be even easier.

Sorry for rambling so much and I hope you find something I have said useful.

Please don't hesitate to call me for advice if you need it I will try to help if I can

Thanks to all that have participated and also to those of you that will in the future.

You will never get a different result if you do the same thing every time. Don't be afraid to change it up.

Thanks again for letting me do this thread each month and I hope I have helped someone.

Brett and Terri DeFreitas

On a different note I'm posting a picture of a Deer I shot with my bow a few days before our gun season started 160" Ten pt.
    I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving and Have a good Christmas and New year

Attached Files:

2. Birds Only

Birds Only Member

Well said Brett! Great deer as well, congrats!

3. K Kave

K Kave Member

Are you sure that's not Terri's deer ;D

4. brettdef

brettdef Member

Kris its not Terri's but she loves to assist in finding or blood trailing deer. She is very good at it and does not give up easy. I can remember a couple of times that I was ready to give up on deer in the past and she kept me out there only to find the deer. I am a very fortunate man to have a wife like her. She is not only a good tracker but also a great mother and wife.

Brett D

5. Great advice in your post Brett. Happy Holidays to you and your family. :)

6. ed150

ed150 deer city time

great buck and a great lady ;)

7. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Nice Buck Brett

8. very nice, brett....

9. MikeC

MikeC Proud Conservative

Congrats on a great buck Brett!

10. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

nice buck for sure. and you do have a good wife to help out as much as she does.

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very nice Brett, congrats on a beautiful animal!

12. Nice buck Brett. 2 more to go and I'm finally to the end of my Spring birds......John
    [​IMG]

13. Birds Only

Birds Only Member

My contribution for the month. Everyone keep up the good work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Birds Only

Birds Only Member

Come on guys, someone is mounting turkey's somewhere.

15. RTF

RTF Active Member

After looking at your birds, I think I'll sit this one out. LOL

16. Birds Only

Birds Only Member

Come on guys, let's see them birds. Ed, Kasey, Rnviper, Brett etc... I know your mounting birds.

17. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

yea we are mounting birds. I have been working hard to keep up with skinning out the deer coming in and getting the work out the door.

18. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

How about a few from everyones favorite fish taxidermist with a turkey problem...........

28 lb from WI

[​IMG]

20lb wholesale bird from OH

[​IMG]

31 lb Bourbon Red domestic turkey

[​IMG]

19. jptaxi

jptaxi New Member

IL
    [​IMG]

here is my latest turkey

20. jptaxi