1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price shoppers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by KevinH, Dec 2, 2011.

1. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

Do any of you have a good line for the people that call and say how much for this or that? Most of them I tell them the price and they say thanks and hang up, not getting much work in this year and I believe its cuz of all the other cheap guys around. Ive been trying to think of something to say to them without sounding like an a--hole but telling them that they should think about quality instead of cheap price.

2. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I tell all of them my price and that I tell everyone who asks about prices that I encourage them to come in and see my work and explain they should look around at a few taxidermists work before deciding where to go even if they don't decide to bring it to me because in this industry prices don't mean much. Also tell them about my competing and ask them about their trophy because they all want to talk about it and the longer you can keep them on the phone the better because the more you bs them they think of you as a fellow hunting buddy and not a buisiness trying to get work over others. Most don't show up to look because no matter what they are already set at the price but those that do have always had me do their work except one time and I think the guy is regreting it knowing where he went with it but then again some people like cheap no matter what it looks like.

3. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

Kevin, I am experincing the same thing. I had a family member take his son's deer down the road to the worst taxi I have ever seen. No exaggeration. I just have to be patient because they will come by for a remount and then I get to sell them a cape too. ;)

4. slee

slee New Member

If your not bringing in enough work, try offering to send them pics of your work via email. Then it might give you a chance to tell them why your mounts cost more and how they are better then the competition.

You can offer for them to come down and look at your work, but most people avoid it because it can be awkward for them if they don't like what they see or still don't like your price. Same reason why most people rather text then talk on the phone these days.....

5. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

NEVER start out by giving them your price. Ask them about their deer and explain what goes into a shoulder mount and why you do the things that you do to give them the best mount possible. Explain to them that doing a mount for less would mean that you would have to cut some corners, either in the quality of materials or the time in putting in details that you do or both. Invite them to come and look at your work......and THEN give them your price. After that I tell them the name and phone number of the cheapest guy around and tell them, "if price is the most important thing, then he is where they should take it!" If price is THE factor then I will never get the work. On the other hand, if the "potential" client realizes that there may be a big difference in what they are getting for their dollar, they will usually come by and look at my work.

There can be one BIG drawback to that.......if you are not at or very close to the top end, the potential client may think YOU may be cutting corners because there are taxidermists who are a lot more expensive that you!

6. ask them what there willing to work for a day.
    buy cheap buy twice

7. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Tell them you get what you pay for. You can't buy a quality rifle or bow for nothing, and you won't find a quality mount for nothing either. I always point out that I stock tanned replacement capes and offer re-mount services. I have before and after pictures to show what a $250 deer mount usually looks like. Bottom line is you just won't get some people to pay for a quality mount. Best bet is to try to market and advertise to the clients who do have the money.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Tell them,, the prices are posted in your show room, you have to come and see. lol

I actually ask them how much do they want to pay/spend for a good mount?

9. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

i talked to the last one for nearly an hour about what his rifle cost, the scope, the ammo, the trip, the truck, etc. then asked why he all of a sudden wanted the cheapest money he spent to be the money he and others looked at for the next 30 or 40 years. haha, i got the job.

kirby

10. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

i know its not easy but i try asking them about the hunt as soon as i can and let them explain every detail of the hunt and act like its the nicest buck you've heard about all season, mentioning that it sure would be nice to check it out

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Just talk to them. Earn their trust. Its worked for me for years, ask anyone who has listened to me speak to a customer via phone.

12. litefeather

litefeather New Member

I had a guy bring in this 185" buck he killed two years ago for a remount. He wasn't happy with it from the last guy. Can't see from the picture but it's all cracking around the eyes, Ears are drummed badly etc....This is a $900 deer for him now. It's a monster deer for sure.

[​IMG]

13. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I can't give you a quote over the phone. A lot depends on what you want the finished product to look like. I have many different plaques and bases to choose from and a lot of different mannikin poses to choice from. I need to take a good look at your specimen to determine my l;abor cost. Sometimes there's issues that need to be addressed. How about we schedule an appointment for you to stop by when I can give you my undivided attention, how does tomorrow at 5;30 sound? (You will schedule that appointment damn near every time, and get the job.)

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

Like everyone else, I get alot of calls on price, believe it or not, I land most of them. You have to be a good PR guy to in this business. If I get them to my site or my showroom, the work usually ends up in my shop. This year, most guys are tired of paying for something they are not getting. Along with all the new clients this year, I have a few re-mounts to do as well!(LOL)

15. I have quit fighting for the price shoppers, I have found that these folks have to learn the hard way,and I am more than glad to re-mount the deer in a couple of years for them.I make more $ on them that way and they usually become my best advertising!

16. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Petes right. Plus, half the time its just some taxidermists wife checking "undercover" to see how youre doing because their business is slow. 8)

17. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

There is a big difference between the "price shopper" and the potential client, who really doesn't have a clue what taxidermy is all about. The true "price shopper" is only interested in the PRICE and nothing else matters.....they make poor clients and will leave you as soon as someone cheaper pops up.....provided you're still in business.

Taxidermy is like any service, you have to sell yourself and your product to a potential client. You will never get them all. To the first time taxidermy client, "a mount is a mount", you have to convince them that there is a difference. More importantly, you need to show them that you are giving "value" for their money. That value comes in the form of materials used, methods used to produce the product, and your qualifications, experience and attention to detail in the production of that product. If all you do is answer the phone and give them a price, that will never happen......If you're cheap enough, you will land the "price shoppers"!

18. litefeather

litefeather New Member

They guy I'm doing the re-mount for stopped by to get a Pedestal I had for sale. He looked at a few mounts so we started talking about common problems with poor mount jobs. He bought the Pedestal and left, about an hour later he shows back up with the mount saying I was right. He had checked most of his mounts and said they were drumming, cracking and most of them had China man eyes "thought that was funny". He called last evening and told me he was bring one in this weekend with our ML season opening today. Hope to see it!

19. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

tell those price shoppers this"Are you willing to save a hundred bucks and regret it everytime you look and a crap mount that runs a risk of getting bugs." I lost two customers to a guy that does a shoulder mount for $300....

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Funny thing about Taxidermist..... they gripe about price shoppers and cheap Taxidrrmist's..... yet they go on a tirade when McKenzie raised their prices 5% ???