1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price shoppers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by KevinH, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Clifford, lol, youd love to hear the reaction of my price, youd get a laugh. Thankfully, enough people think like we do to keep us in business in our state, eh?

2. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Good answer. I will have to use that one next time. These guys pay far more for a gun, bow, or their truck payment.

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I especially hate the people who come and park next to my 1994 truck in their brand new, decked-out vehicle, tell you about how they have thier ammo custom made because their gun is custom, and brag about how well their business is doing and then ask for a discount!

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Maybe that's how they are able to afford those things...they aren't afraid to ask for a discount.

5. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Keep the pic from the "Nasty Mount" thread. Tell them that if they want a cheap mount you can refer them to whomever did the Franken-mount job on that deer..........may change their mind. I tell my customers what my price is. If they think it is too high or can find a better price, I wish them luck and tell them to have a good day. I feel there is no use arguing a point or wasting time with them. Last year I had two guys come in together with Sika deer they both shot in MD. One was fine with my price and left me his to mount (his was just a spike - but a trophy to him anyway). The other guy had a nice 6 point, but said he could get it done cheaper. The funny thing was, the guy got his 6 point back two months before I got the spike done. He came with his buddy to pick up the spike. I asked him how his 6 point came out - his comment was "nothing like this one!" To make a long story short, he brought me the 10 point he shot in archery this year. So.......the way I see it, they may be looking for a bargain, but eventually if you do quality work and they see it, they will come back. JMO

6. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Well-Known Member

I use to try to talk sense into the price shoppers, I've kind of given up as of late. I've been at $550 for 3 seasons now and like to think I do a pretty good job, I have a good friend/taxidermist only 15 minutes from me who does nice work as well, he's charging $450 for a head and took in 50 deer this year, I've taken in 7.... I can't compete with that, nor will I. I charge what I charge and do quality work, take it or leave it. I had a guy call about a 50 lb beaver yesteday and firts thing he asked was price, I said minimum $800 and he hung up before I could finish...

7. Indianahunter

Indianahunter New Member

You can't or won't compete with that? I'm not you and I don't know your situation, but I would just drop my price to match his. Doubling or tripling your volume at 475.00 is a lot more money/profit than 7 mounts at your current price.

8. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

One thing I haven't heard anyone address is what if the guy up the road is only charging 300 and doing a pretty good mount. I have a fellow who does a good job and only works three days a week at his full time gig. He says he just likes doing it as a hobby and making a few extra bucks a week helps out even though he makes 80k + as a correction officer. I thought he would burn out after a year but he's still going strong and taking in more and more every year. I have been forced to offer a commercial mount at 450 and a higher end comp mount at 575. I have sold more for 450 than 575. That was even after showing tow examples of the two different mounts. I like to put out the absolute best but if it means starving then guess what?

9. nickstax

nickstax New Member

had that problem with (the guy up the road) and after several remounts for me people learn that cheaper is not always better. you have to sell yourself to people and stand your ground on your prices. gas ain't cheap forms and shipping arn't cheap but the general public feels that taxidermist should be cheap. have you talked to him about pricing? sometimes that works. if i can put more money in my pocket i am all for it. good luck

10. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

Not wanting to sound like a bio,but over 20 years as a part timer and only 3 of us in the immediate area I ve always charged more.First things first.I challenge anyone to charge $450 or more in my locale.You will starve unless youre selling drugs on the side.Neither of my 2 down the road has ever belonged to any Taxidermy assoc.or tried to improve.They both do good work however on some species anyway.I even took one to his only ever state convention.He came back gleaming and several years later hasnt been back.You can show all the ribbons and trophys you want but still my best sale is show them the difference as some has stated.This price shopping thing and I believe you good business folks are correct in your thoughts but we are spending good energy in the wrong area.Complaining about suppliers prices I feel is valid.Somewhere the consumer has to take a stand.How high can we go?Thats what's ruining this country.We need to find a way to slow down increases.When I use to belong to some assocs including the NTA I believed we'd lobby for certanies and some we got,especially for quality.But again most has raised the roof in upkeep.I wanted to take my girlfriend to a convention recently only to be told no unless she bought a membership.For what just to see some mounts or set in a motel room. I to get burned up over PS and feel the pain so what am I to do.Economics is hurting all.I feel weve got to stay close to our advasaries price regardless and find a way to slow down.After all the wakeing in the morning Im a taxidermist guys are gonna continue for practice and low priceing.Im proud to still consider myself a learner from you great artist so please come up with something other than redrick.As was said many times we all arent Mike Boyce.Most here have the same complain and best of comebacks,just show me the way to the golden stairs or realize reality money is being spent to live on needs not wants as much as yesteryear.So do we have a dilema or a solution?Sorry for the book but Im about to break a 100 here and get bronzed on a lghter note.

11. roundyracer

Why not look for a cure instead of a culprit a wise man once said.

12. Bill Yox

Another wise man once wrote..."You cannot make taxidermy be something it isnt".

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

If you want to raise hell sbout the supply prices then order from a more reasonable supplier. I had a good friend of mine from up north call me the other day and tell me that he's ordering his deer forms now from Ozark Woods, he loves them and that they are $15-$20 cheaper than McKenzie. Should McKenzie lower prices to please YOU???

I'm saying this as gentle as possible because it is your girlfriend and I DO NOT want it taken the wrong way...... BUT, it costs just as much money for your girlfriend to walk around that convention as it does a paying person. Can you imagine the mayhem if it was 'buy one, everybody else free!'

14. roundyracer

Im sorry Micheal and as gentle as i can be with all due respect but you cant sell me on that BS.At one time I payed my dues to 3 state assocs and NTA.I was proud to be a supporter of this industry.Im not a big timer like some of you whom I cherish as artist and thank you for your time spent makeing some of us at least try to improve.However I felt that a one time a year deal and thats all buying her a membership for a 15 min tour was unreasonable.Im not a cheapskate but under the Obama plan I am cutting corners.Correct me if Im wrong but of the 3 local Taxidermist here close and only one whom has ever been a member who lost.Id gladly payed some cost for the banquet which is another add on and that was ok.To pay roughly $100 for that we opted on another venture.

15. roundyracer

One of the best and pioneer of modern Taxidermy without name dropping once told me I dont make em I just mount them!

16. Paul C

Paul C New Member

And yet another wise man once said...."You can't fix stupid!"

Some of you REALLY need to come to the Ohio show this weekend and sit in on Christie Mahany's Seminar---she will be dealing with this very subject. If you continue to do the things you've always done you will only get the results you've always had. Have an open mind and look beyond "taxidermy" and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.

17. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Marry her! Then you can register as a family for just a few bucks more...she can participate in everything except seminars.

18. mimes

mimes Member

Just 3yrs ago I could buy Ozark Woods forms all day for $30 each. Pick them up at the state convention and you just saved a ton on shipping. Wish he was not 5 hours from me. Not as much detail as a Mckenzie form, but they mount up nice.

19. Bill Yox

Well if the taxidermy in an area that wont support it FINANCIALLY doesnt work out, you could always move to some arid area way inland and try to sell high end boats...I often wonder why, when I ask a taxidermist why he wouldnt just go work at McDonalds instead, and he says, no way, Id NEVER work for peanuts, why he cant see hes not even up to peanuts doing taxidermy. Because the next thing out of his mouth is, yeah but youll never get those prices here in this area. To which I always say...

Yeah, but its still pretty busy at McDonalds...

....I hear crickets, any wheels turning yet?

20. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Yep Bill you are right,,,I say let us all go down to $200.00 or $300.00 and we all can go hungry and take time away from are family's and work 20 hours a day,and have no insurance or benefits and no life.....Not me I am the highest in my county. Hunters spend thousands of dollars on hunting and want to give peanuts to get there trophy done,ITS BECOUSE US TAXIDERMIS LETS THEM......