1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler refurbish

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by landdepot, Dec 4, 2011.

1. landdepot

landdepot Active Member

Friend of mine found this rack in a creek a few years back. I did some repair on it for fun.Just found the pics on an old computer and thought I'd share.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nice work! What antler paints did you use? And is that just a metallic paint on the skull?

3. landdepot

landdepot Active Member

Thanks,............potassium permangate was only thing used for color (leaning on bottle in pic above). Skull was first blacked out with black spray paint then some copper paint out of a squeeze bottle used for finish. Nothing special,...think I bought it at Michaels.

4. looks real good, would be awesome if you shared your technique with the rest of the bone heads, I have some personal stuff with broken brow tines that could use this.

5. landdepot

landdepot Active Member

Used the apoxie sculpt in the first pic to build around the wire,......smooth and taper points with some water worked in,....let dry,.........paint white for consistency and stain with the Potassium Perm. Bout it. Thanks for the comment.

6. never used the pot. perm. just wonder if my restaining using acrylic paints would work if I could get a good base color to match the rest of the antler.

7. skullfreak

skullfreak New Member

Potassium Perm. is the best!will never use anything else

8. landdepot

landdepot Active Member

I prefer the PP over paint but yeah paint does OK. Never used acrylics much but I have tried oils. Burnt Umber is a good color to start with. Try "thinner" mixes and "thicker" mixes to get the color shading you want.

9. I have my colors covered, just never had to do a large section of antler

10. landdepot

landdepot Active Member

oh,..........yeah I find it much easier to do if a white basecoat is applied first at least enough to cover and fade all the seam lines.

11. Tony111

Tony111 New Member

That looks great....very well done

12. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

wow that is awsome

13. sbskullworks

sbskullworks Member

I know this is a fairly old post, but was searching the forum for some answers and I think I found what I'm looking for. You say you painted the entire rack white after the repairs to give it an even color for the pot perm. What type of paint did you use? I've noticed that the pot perm doesn't seem to take to well to some finishes. Are you using a white spray paint or out of the tube? If tube, oil or acrylic? Again, sorry I'm commenting on such an old post. Thanks!

14. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Do you thin/mix the potassium perm. with water or alcohol and then do a wash?

15. sbskullworks

sbskullworks Member

Ive been thinning mine with water and doing washes. I guess I never thought about thinning it with something else. What do you use?

16. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

Does anyone know what paint works best under the PP?

Thanks.

17. steamvalley

steamvalley some cleaned and dipped skulls

I use almond colored right out of the can.

18. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The OP used PP, nothing more for the antler color. The antlers were not painted white first. PP goes on purple and changes to brown. You wipe on and off in layers and build up color. Takes some eyeballing with shades of brown as you build it up but it works very well.

19. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

Thanks fellas. The PP definitely didn't go well on the apoxie sculpt for me. I didn't try it on the repair I did. I have used it with great results on antlers though. Bought some oil based burnt umber today so I'll get some turpentine and see how that goes onto the apoxie.

20. AH7

AH7 New Member

I've had more luck cutting oil paint with linseed oil than turpentine for thinning. The turpentine can sometimes give a blotchier result - especially on something that is not very porous (like your apoxie). The oil is smoother.