1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thought I struck gold but it was green

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Zimmie, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

I picked up a deer yesterday for a euro and the customer left the whole cape. Then he tells me it has been in the refrigerator, double bagged for a week. when i took it out of the bag the smell hit me first. As I was caping it out I noticed it was green. Can this cape be save? I did a quick fleshing job on it and applied stop rot and put it in the freezer. Is there anything else I can do or is it a lost cause?

2. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Maybe - Maybe not. You did all you could but you could have salted it good a couple times to tighten it up. You just never know what will happen with a cape that has turned green. Good Luck.

3. Mason

Mason Active Member

We have a mount here that we nicknamed stinky ;D
    The hide was green as grass and the smell almost made Ya puke. We applied stop rot and fleshed it off real good. This deer was dp'd and stop rotted and to this day looks as ugly as it did since we mounted it :D With NO smell.

4. tylerdeloach32

tylerdeloach32 New Member

I would worry about money and time wasted if the cape doesn't turn out. That's too bad i'm surprised it's green after being in the fridge.

5. Mason

Mason Active Member

You have a point tyler,
    The deer that I posted about was an extra, we were wanting to mount for a display piece. Had nothing to lose at the time with that one.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

I just took another giant in today that sat in a cooler for a week. It looks as though it will be fine, alittle funky, but not slipping. I agree, you should've prepped it while you had it out. Now you have to thaw it again to get it prepped. I thought I would challenged myself this year and try and save one that came in as a spare last week. It was green too Ron, but it looks like it will be ok. I hope it does, it's 22 at the ears!!(LOL)

7. Mason

Mason Active Member

I hear Ya Matt!

That is a doozy, to have to just toss. The one we had was real dark in color and had super short hair. That's the only reason we wanted to try and save it.
    Oh, and Good Luck with yours Zimmie! It may turn out just fine.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

It's times like these, I could've used some of that stoprot, or some vics under my nose!

9. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

I don't really have alot to lose on this as the customer just wants a euro. I am going to use this as a learning experience. It seems like I have read on here before that stoprot works in the freezer. That is why I didn't prep it all the way out. Plus it was late on a Sunday night and I have to get up before the roosters and drive 55 miles to work. I'll post an update when I get around to working on it again. Thanks for the replies. Ryan