1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

clean and oil antlers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by planting-cedar, Dec 5, 2011.

1. planting-cedar

planting-cedar New Member

I have been taught to use turpentine and linseed oil to clean deer antlers on my mounts and now I have a customer that doesn't like it because it has turned the rack darker. I was wanting to know what i could use to remove the linseed oil from the rack?

2. HunterBrowning

HunterBrowning New Member

why are you cleaning the anlters?

3. planting-cedar

planting-cedar New Member

I just wiped them off with this mixture to oil the antlers and have been doing it for over ten years I think it helps them from drying out. But now I have this one customer that says that his rack keeps getting darker and wants to know if I could use something to remove the oil from them.

4. dugart

dugart Doug Smith / D-Sign,LLC. 616-392-3841

I would try wiping with a lacquer thinner soaked rag several times. Maybe wipe with lacquer and immediately follow with dry rag to soak up dissolved linseed oil (before the thinner has time to evaporate). This should allow you to absorb all the oil, or at least as much as is humanly possible. I seriously doubt that your treatment could cause excessive darkening of those antlers but you never know I guess.

5. madarchery

madarchery callmaker

Wood sealed with linseed will darken over time.