1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dakota IV and V

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Rob Gagliardi, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Could someone give me the pros and cons of each? Which one would you suggest to get?

2. HunterBrowning

HunterBrowning New Member

The 4 is a 'detail' flesher, much smaller blade, better for small detail work on faces and such...

3. get the pro you will only cry once

4. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I have used a Dakota IV for about 12 years and it has been a great machine. I have done monkey and L/S zebras, hogs, bears, whitetails and much much more on it. It works great but if it helps you decide my next machine will more than likely be a Pro/

5. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    Re: Re: Dakota IV and V

Not sure on the differences, cause I started out with the pro. Sweet machine. It's bigger but stainless steel. Which is a huge advantage when dealing with salt and acids. With time you will even learn how to do the detail work with it. Worth spending the extra cash now rather than find out later on you need more.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. 10inchbeard

10inchbeard Member

I have a V, and love it. Would like to have the Pro but couldn't swing the price at the time. Salts and Acids will cause trouble for the V if you don't keep it wiped down with oil. Someone on this site suggested motor oil lightly applied to the surface to stop the rust and so far has worked OK for me. If I had the money and was expecting to stay with taxidermy for awhile the Pro is the way to go. Also keep and eye on the "For Sale Section" that's were I got mine.. ;D ;) ;D

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I have a Pro and it works good, but I used a IV while at Rick Carter's and it was much easier to do the face and details with it. I've tried to do the face on my Pro, but the IV was so much easier for that. I've thought about getting one just for the face, but then I think maybe I just need to be better at using my Pro.

8. Tannertroop

Tannertroop Member

I have a IV and use it for everything. I do plan on getting a full size machine in the future to save some time. You can do 90% of your detail fleshing on the IV.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You can do it all on the pro, no reason to have two machines. Buy a pro, learn on a pro, faces can be easily done on a pro.