1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Two deer by my local taxi

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by MAC1, Dec 6, 2011.

1. MAC1

MAC1 Member

Hello,
    I am pretty new on here and have been mostly reading for the past year or so. I want to learn from you guys and any videos you could recommend. All I think about is deer 24/7/365. I love to hunt and study whitetails. In October I received my 154" 11 pointer back from my local Taxi. I have had two deer done by this guy and he has another 150 something inch deer from me this year in his freezer. My Taxi charges just under $500 and around here that is actually a decent price. He has been doing taxidermy work for the last 25 years or so. He takes in a lot of our local deer and some monsters from Illinois as well. Everyone I talk to that knows his work or goes to him says he is really good. I have been one of those people, but now after studying some of your guys work I have become even more picky than I was before. I hope he doesn't look on this site because I am not wanting to put his work down, but I have noticed a few things that don't look quite right to me. Let me know if I am seeing things. I want to do my own deer someday soon, but I don't want to screw up on a 150 or 160" deer, so I will continue to have professionals do my work untill I am ready. I will post some pics later today.

2. MAC1

MAC1 Member

Here is my deer from the 2010 season and the one from six years ago. I have really been studying eyes lately. When I look straight at the deer I see the skin behind the eye. The eleven pointer is looking left and the right eye shows a little white up front like he is looking right. The hair where the stitching is done on the back of the head, top of the neck is hard and raised with a wet look. The other 10 pointer to the right he did 6 years ago and does not have the raised hair issue, but has the same type of eyes. I am pretty happy with everything else but the eyes on both deer look like there might be too much clay behind them. One thing is for sure, this camera is not doing them justice. Both deer look a lot better in person than they do in these pictures and the their muzzles look better as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

You have all the right to be concerned, and you are right there are a bunch of issues with your deer, ears eyes and tucking of the lip line. It's good to see you can notice the things that don't look natural. I would say pick a differant taxidermist and keep learning and studying till you are ready. GOOD LUCK!!!

4. MAC1

MAC1 Member

Thanks... Would you like to elaborate on the ears and lip line? I didn't notice anything wrong with the ears except maybe lack of muscle under the eleven pointer's that are laid back. I do get compliments on these deer and like I said earlier he has another big one from this year in his freezer so don't know what i'll do on that one. I think they look real good when you first walk in the room, but if I study them real close, I start picking. Also, the only other two guys that might be better than my taxi around here are another $100-$150 in price. My Taxi fills up pretty quick believe it or not, he only takes in so many. He has a full time job and only does 40 or so a year.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

That deer is fine for a $500 commercial mount. Standing back at 10 feet it looks perfect.

6. MAC1

MAC1 Member

Well, That's where I am getting confused. From farther back they look good, but up close pictures compared to some of the work done by guys on here make it look deformed. Is it the camera in a gloomy room?

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'm with Mike. They are way above average, especially if that is the low priced work for your area. If you aren't happy with them then spend the $650 to have someone else do it. I'm not sure how much more that $150 is going to buy you but it's your money.

The biggest problem I see with the above pics is the photography is very unflattering. Better pics and those two deer would get rave reviews in the Gamehead of the week thread.

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

We were typing at the same time. Yes, the camera is causing it to look deformed, and the flash is changing to appearance of the colors.

9. MAC1

MAC1 Member

Well, I appreciate that. Not wanting to cut him down, I am just in the beginning stages of learning and I thought I noticed something wrong with the eyes. Thanks for your input!

10. Ok you paid for a commercial mount, do you want a competition quality mount? The pay another $1000. the 10 ft look is fine and thats what you would normally see in a museum is at ten feet.

You have found some difference but still, they are commercial mounts. In most cases you can look at anyones commercial mount and find problems and some much worse. So now start looking at other taxis work and see what you find.

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with the eyes, or any other part of the mount. I'm only saying that it is above average.

12. MAC1

MAC1 Member

OK... I will keep my eyes open. It will be almost a year before I get this years deer back and probably will be awhile before I kill another one big enough to mount, so I will have plenty of time to research and hopefully practice on my own. I think one of the main reasons I questioned the mounts were because a couple of stud taxidermist on this site only charge the same amount as my guy and their pictures just blew me away.

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    MAC1, I think most of us go through that once we learn a little about taxidermy. Before that we couldn't see any issues with the work we had other guys do. As stated they look fine from farther away, or to the inexperienced eye. Most commercial work isn't perfect. That is a fact. I suggest jumping in feet first and see how you do. I bet after you try it you will have a better respect for that guys work or you just might be better. Who knows? Good luck, 3bears

14. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I disagree, those mounts do not look good for a commercial mount. I don't care what you call the mount, commercial or whatever the eyes should have all the paint cleaned off. lips shouldn't be pulled out, and just not that great overall.

I will say, they are better than some other so called commercial mounts that I have seen, and yes from a distance they don't look that bad but good Taxidermy is good taxidermy and bad is bad regardless what you pay for it or what you call it.

15. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

1) This has already been covered, but you got what you paid for. They are are not bad mounts. If you want better, do your homework and pay more.
    2) If you are unhappy with how a taxidermist consistently mounts a deer, that is your fault. It is up to you to research and set a standard that you want.
    3) I think you would be better served having a good taxidermist look at your mounts in person for a private critique
    4) I think it is sort of rude and of bad manners to post pics of mounts from an unknowing taxidermist and inviting critique when you are a know-nothing, non taxidermist.
    5) I think you already knew everything I said above.

Just my opinion.

16. michael p.

Dave, they look fine. Also MAC1 made the comment that some of the gamehead of the week photos look better by guys charging the same price....... well here's the catch, yes they do, because you are only going to take the angles that look best and post them.

All commercial artists, Dave Hyer included, when doing large volume make small mistakes. The lips pull, eyelids expand, etc.. The paint on the eye, I saw am antelope in the Masters Cateagory in Texas 2 years ago get a big ding because some paint was left on the eye. It happens, especially to us doing 150 or so $500 deer.

17. davehyer

davehyer New Member

Well Micheal I agree that small things get through once in awhile but when I'm finishing and catch something that's noticeable I'll go back and fix it if i can. I do allot of mounts every year as well ( for less than $500) and the hardest thing is too keep your quality up when you really get slammed.

I have caught myself slipping before and made a conscious effort to slow down and make sure i am happy with what I'm sending out the door. Most customers are far less picky than most good taxidermists are.

18. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

I agree Those mounts do not look good period!! Commercial or not. Way over priced for a mount like that ears are curling just in 6 years wait for another 6 years and see the results. You can do better, I know you studs out there are going to flip a lid now but honestly that work for $500 is not above average sorry it's not!!

19. The skin looks to be pulled away from the antler bur also. Looks to be a $350.00 deer mount at the most to me .

20. michael p.

Sorry fella's, you are both wrong :) LOL That mount is worth $500 because that is what the customer paid for it.... it may look like a $350 mount to somebody, but to the taxidermist it looked like a $500 mount and that's what he got. Same way one judge see's a blue ribbon deer and the next see's a red.

There is no true value in this industry, there is no $300 deer head and there is no $700 deer head..... there is only a price.... because we do not and never will have a 'standard' in this industry.