1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to attach a pedestal to a base???????

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by skinner26, Dec 6, 2011.

1. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

I am trying to find out how to attach a pedestal to a base. Like this one in the photo. And how would u attach it to a mounting stand to. I am looking at trying one in a week or two and thought I would get some info.

Thanks for any help you can give. And maybe a pic or 2 would be nice.

[​IMG]

2. revolutionMan

revolutionMan New Member

I would look on page 20 of the Revolution Supply catalog. Square Tube System or Threaded Rod System. ;)

3. there a many posts on this topic.

Of course the attachment means will vary depending on application. What I use mostly are the removable antler posts in most taxi-supply catalogs. For a deer I would use the lagest, i think they are 5/8" square used to reattach moose or elk antlers. Drill a 5/8" hole into the base and insert the solid square tube so about 3" is exposed. Before mounting the cape drill a hole in the form where you want the mount to attach. drill the hole large enough to insert the female piece and space for bondo, some use foam. Make sure the tube is recessed so not to protrude and mount as normal. After mount id dry cut a small hole to expose the female portion of the tube and attach. MAKE SURE THAT BOTH THE SOLID MALE AND FEMALE PIECES ARE PLUMB!

Sorry no pictures.

4. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Make sure it is sturdy and "right" in regard to angle and whatnot.

I recently fixed a mount similar to your picture that had broken. It was done by a National Award winning taxi, whom I personally know and respect. He must have been off his game or had some "help" that day. There was a two inch long piece of aluminum tubing bondoed into the form. It had worked loose and the mount had a severe nosedive and was totally unacceptable. The male pin was solid in the base. I had to sneak in the back of the form and insert a plate and tubing fixture. I left a lot of room for adjustment via shims to get the pose right. Came out awesome, client thinks I am a magician, partially true, just good at fixing things.

Most pedestal forms have a piece of wood in the back of the form to allow attachment to a stand plate for mounting. If not, put one in, just below the surface, then cover it up when done. A 4 by 6 piece of 3/4" plywood is about what you need. Foam it over when done and you are the only one who knows.

5. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

Thanks every one for the help.