1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Your opinion on this dry tan?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by wheatgerm, Dec 6, 2011.

1. wheatgerm

wheatgerm New Member

I picked this cape up today to mount and got it out of the bag and I found out that even though its very leathery soft, its totally dry. Someone else was going to mount it and it dell threw so I am not sure what tan was used but the whole cape appears that it could be mounted dry except the ears nose and lips are too crisp to work with. Anyone have any ideas on rehudrating the face or the whole cape? What should I do? I have always mounted everything a few days after it came out of the tan so I have no experience with anything after it is dry

2. wheatgerm

wheatgerm New Member

Im going to try saltwater and sweat over night, can someone please confirm this please? Also do I only want to soak the face or the whole cape?

3. I'm really not trying to be a smart ass but when was the last time you mounted a dry cape? Isn't that kind of a stupid question you posted if you are an experienced taxidermist? Soak the whole cape up. One handful of salt per gallon of water. How old is the tan? If it's old it may fall apart from acid rot.

4. wheatgerm

wheatgerm New Member

I am by no means experienced.. I have my way that I know and that's the only way I have ever done any mounts. Sorry to put you out by asking a "stupid question" but I don't know what other Taxidermist do this is why I asked to try to learn. Most times I try to search old posts first so I don't ask "stupid questions" but I figured there is enough different tans out there that it maybe better to try to explain this one and have an EXPERIENCED person chime in. Thanks ill soak the whole cape

5. You said you had mounted other animals that were wet tanned right? Why would it be any different?

6. Rehydrating a dry tanned hide is fairly simple, since we use both "wet tans" (when received from the tannery this type of tanning is wet and supple to the touch) and "dry tans" (this type of tanning results from the tannery completing the tanning process resulting in a dried skin) but either way the results remain the same. .

When rehydrating a dried tanned skin....mix one cup of salt with one gallon of room temperature water (mix up about three gallons in a bucket), immerse the cape in the water solution for about 45 minutes. Remove soaked skin and drain for about an hour or so. After draining well roll the skin up and place in a plastic bag overnight and "sweat" (it will absorb the water solution and soften the entire hide). The next day you can shave and repair the skin, use your method of choice on the ears and mount like you usually do.

Hope this helps :)

7. wheatgerm

wheatgerm New Member

Yes, and the difference is that I have never ryhydrated a tanned cape. Also didn't know if different types of tans required different rehydration steps... salt, water, and sweat. Simple thanks for the help
    Thank you very muck olytax! Very helpful and exactly what I needed to hear