1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by little elk, Dec 7, 2011.

1. little elk

little elk Member

SD
    I am having problems with my computer and the search button so I am asking here instead. I just received a badger from a customer and he wants me to tan it. It is very greasy and I was trying to get info on using white gas (or an equivalent) to take off the heavy grease. I am not sure how long I dare to leave it in the gas and would appreciate any input I can get.

Thanks in advance

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

It sounds like you have more of a problem than your search button not working, if you take on a badger for tanning from a customer and not have a clue on the process. First thing is I have processed many badgers and have never used white gas to degrease, remove as much fat and grease by hand, then if you salt you can scour the skin during hydration,if your not salting scour before the pickle, after a few days in the pickle after the first shave put in a seperate degreasing bath for 1/2 hour agitating freq. your degreasing bath should contain salt and a degreasing sol. made specific for the job of degreasing skins, use warm water then back in the pickle for a day or two or more, then remove drain and its ready for your tanning agent good luck.

3. little elk

little elk Member

SD
    Thank you Muscle20, for your input. I have done a number of bear and other furs in the past. This badger is REALLY greasy, and I had heard of using white gas from others. I thought if that would work better I'd give it a try. Before trying any new process I like to get advice on the proper procedure. I will proceed as usual on this one.
    thanks again.

4. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Glad you take the time to write that all out time after time Muscle20. Your patience is always appreciated!