1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Short Y

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kmt, Dec 7, 2011.

1. kmt

kmt New Member

I have been using the Y cut for all of my deer mounts but I find that i have to make a pretty long cut down the back just so that i can get the hide back onto the form. If i try to leave it short I cant get the hide on over top of the skull. I also have a really hard time getting the cape back on without messing up my eye work.

Just wondering if any one has anything to offer me to try and make this method easier. I would like to minimize the amount of sewing i have to do and think that the mount looks much nicer when i dont have to make the long cut.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I don't know for sure, but I'd strongly suspect you are mismeasuring the cape when you skin it or are cheating by trying to increase the neck size. The narrowest point on a deer manikin is the face and neck at the Atlas. That means that your cape should easily slide over the form itself and get snug as you roll the neck Atlas over the form. The ears release a lot of "extra skin" and should accommodate your mount. I know on some of my deer, I almost have a "V" cut only and they get on. Are you useing a dry tanned hide? Most tanneries tanned hides don't let out as well as wet tanned ones do.

3. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

To keep from messing up your eye work, slide the cape on first and then do your sculpting. Works for me.

4. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

Take horns off form... Slide cape on... Remount horns... That easy

5. This is great advise.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Learn to sew so it looks nice, it isn't hard. Sewing isn't hard, go ahead and cut it long.

7. kmt

kmt New Member

I am able to sew it up so that it looks good but I think that it would be much easier to do if I didn't have to sew so much. I have a real hard time getting the cape on over the back of the head.
    I tan the capes with Krowtann.
    I think some of my problem is that I don't have a fleshig machine so I use an angle grinder to thin my hides. So I am not able to get the hids real thin.

8. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

that would be 2 of your problems