1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy Trade Association ?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by A.T.T.T., Dec 8, 2011.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I think many Taxidermist look external and not internally at their business problems and then take a banzai attitude towards it and figure 'if I'm going down I'm gonna take as many down with me as I can'. These people blaming the lowballers for the loss of their business piss me off more than any lowballer ever will. I have lowballers close by north, east, south and west of me..... who friggin cares?! I will keep pushing my business towards a more upper middle to higher class client and the lowballers can have all the rest they want.

Here's the deal in a nut shell. I'm no great Taxidermist, but my people skills and finish work get me by. My numbers are good this year and so are the lower priced Taxidermist. My deer heads are some of the better around, but my waterfowl talent and turnaround time is very undesirable (something I have remedied this season), my gamehead turn around is remarkable. Well I still have yet to get a duck in this season..... do I blame it on
    the guys down the road charging $65-$100 less?!?! NO! I can only look in the mirror!

Find a way to market yourself. Just because you own a business and charge a price does not mean you are going to get work. The guy down the road charging $200 for a duck...how the hell am I going to tell him how to run his business when I can't even get one this season?! LMAO!

That cracks me up...... all these people without enough work wanting to tell the guy with work what to do.

2. A.T.T.T.

A.T.T.T. New Member

I want to thank all of you for your candid and Oh so very helpful remarks? The rocket scientist remark was sweet of you George...why don't you come on down off of your last name and leave those remarks to yourself. Did your mom or grandmother ever tell you about TRYING to cure someone by giving them a "dose of their own medicine"? What I was trying to do was to show the undercutters what it feels like to be undercut at every avenue. And Michael p. ...I have no eathly ideal what you are referring to. I have not ever been involved with anyone else on this issue , except here locally. John C. thank you for your comments..Go to Baxter Taxidermy Studio and School on F.B. ...I've taught nearly 40 student...small school -one on one...almost all have their own shops up and running. It is a one year course and most have became life long friends of mine. This is the problem...some sling insults and name calling...some dis=agree by can talk about the subject at hand...Again John C. Thank you...ANTLERMAN you have probably hit the nail on it's head...I've worked union all my life...I am not an Obama supporter though...I am a registered Democrate who has not voted for a democratic canidate for "any" office since before J.Carter was elected. I vote for conservative Republican. My Democratic Party has gone nuts! What you were right on is that I don't get the system and I don't know how to work it. THAT"S WHY I"M ASKING ALL OF YOU WHAT TO DO BESIDES NOTHING!!! That's the consensive of what I've gotten from this forum...do nothing...let them undercut you...it'll all work out...well it hasn't and is getting worse...It's a shame that ...if you think out of the line of some people...they throw names and insults...Michael...what I am COO-COO in Cookevile about is to think that there was anyone on this forum who'd take a hard problem subject and debate it seriously ...and look for a solution to the problem...I suggested a trade association because of my union background...it isn't perfect but it might solve a problem or two? Good day to all...I've wasted my time...thanks to those who commented reasonably...GOD BLESS!

3. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

It would never. Oh never mind

4. EA

EA Well-Known Member

There's that ugly "U" word again..

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I looked at your stuff on FB and if I charged my customers the same as you I would be doing an injustice to my clients. There is a reason we all charge different amounts, it's because our products are worth different amounts. After looking at the work on your FB page I've come to the conclusion that it isn't under-cutters that's hurting your business, it's likely your quality.

6. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Cole, you hit that nail on the head didn't ya.

7. nickstax

nickstax New Member

lets all charge the same price. now lets see if we can get all the lawyers and doctors, plumbers, carpenters, bricklayers etc. to do the same. now lets change USA to CCCP and do away with free enterprize. if you are so worried about prices give OPEC a call.

8. [​IMG]
    Right on the money as usual Cole.
    Baxter Taxidermy Studio and SCHOOL??? Instead of running a school, perhaps give attending one a go.

9. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

I have a question for you A.T.T.T.
    You say you have 2 other business an do taxidermy also. In theses 3 other business are you the highest price in a 4 county area around you ?

You say that your students shops are setting there doing nothing due to undercutters. That is the biggest line of B*LL SH*T I have ever heard. That is someone pointing the blame at others instead of where it needs to be. ::)

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I told ATTT I would help him out and post some pics for him. Here are some of his mounts:

Image Removed

Image Removed

Image Removed

Image Removed

Image Removed

...and some student's work:

Image Removed

Image Removed

Image Removed

11. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

WOW Ilike that last one

12. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Got a feeling that last one was Cole's attempt at sarcasm.....LOL

13. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

:D Not Cole

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Wow.....I could of had a V-8

15. A.T.T.T.

A.T.T.T. New Member

I am so glad that you all have had such a great time beating me down...What have I done to any of you to deserve such bashing. I asked a question...told you how I feel about things and it's gone to nearly a hanging. Is this the way you get to relieve some of your stress?
    By the way...the last picture was to show that we went to the World Convention in St. Charles....It was a big deal to us!!! But I guess if you are at a convention and you are a first timer at one...if you show a picture of your student/ friend next to a beautiful mount that someone else has done...everyone would assume that you were trying to say that he did it???? Come on guys...give me a break!
    I didn't ask you to post some of my pictures....I said that I wish that I was smart enough to show "you" some of my competitions
    work next to mine... I bragged on your work and called you a great taxidermist and told you up front that I wasn't in your league. I said that my work next to yours looked horrorable...but next to what I am competing with here locally...that my work would in comparison look great....Look what praising you got me...you posted my pictures to put me down...I hope all of you are proud of yourselves...
    Why would anyone want to be on a forum like this. You all are a bunch of "Egotisical snobs"!

16. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

"Egotistical snobs"!

Yep

17. EA

EA Well-Known Member

A.T.T.T., Nice antique collection.

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

How did I put you down by posting your work AFTER you told me you wished you had the technical ability to do so? If you are embarrassed by your work just say the word and I'll remove it. I thought I was doing you a favor? No one said a thing about your work in the pics. They did question that last one, which I just pulled from your FB page. How was I supposed to know that guy didn't do the mount? I thought maybe he worked for The Artistry of Wildlife, I'm pretty sure that's the business that entered that pc.

I would rather be an egotistical snob than a member of a taxidermy "trade association". I have found over the years that most people complaining about other shops pillaging their work load are losing the business for a reason other than the one they suspect. I would rather continue doing business just as I've been doing over the years and let other shops continue to commit financial suicide. Collusion is not the answer to your problems.

19. A.T.T.T.

A.T.T.T. New Member

I did not say I wanted them posted ...if you read the pm again....I wanted to show you and you alone and you know it...I did not ask you in this forum that I wanted them posted for everyone to see. In a private PM to you I stated that I'd wanted "you" to see a comparison between mine and my competitions work...It was a pm between you and me...compaired to your work...yes I am ashamed of mine....In comparison to my competitions work...I'm proud of mine!

20. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

If you are ashamed of your work compared to Coles work why are you teaching others ??? Perhaps you should be imrpoving so you can compare to that work before you pass on what you know (or don't know).