1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy Trade Association ?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by A.T.T.T., Dec 8, 2011.

1. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Anyone can start a business and if he has the clientele to be profitable, who is to say he should or should not be in business. His bottom line will decide that.

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I agree with that statement. I also feel that when he starts that business he shouldn't get upset when someone competes with him at lower prices. You do what you have to do to make it, or you find a different occupation.

ATTT, I removed the pics. Sorry I misunderstood your wishes.

3. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Softy

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Now I'm ticked. I typed out a PM in response to the latest one from ATTT and he has deleted his account. I assume he hasn't gone anywhere because no one ever does. Since I don't know his new username, I'll just post my response here:

When I read the above statement by you I went and looked at your work. I know you don't believe me, but your work is not good, at least the work I saw on your FB page isn't. The birds, mammals, and gameheads are far below average. My response was "it isn't under-cutters that's hurting your business, it's likely your quality." If you find that comment harsh and uncalled for, then I'm sorry. I find the comment honest and straight forward. Had you not represented your work as "better than good" I never would have said anything. You said it was good, and I disagreed. The fish on the other hand are your strength. They look decent, and are what I would consider above average. You haven't responded to the advice I gave you, but I'll give it again just so I know you hear it. Concentrate on improving your work, and forget about what others in your area are doing. If you do good work, and I mean real quality work, it won't matter what anyone charges. All this crap about standardized pricing is a joke. I understand you are a union guy through and through. Well I grew up in a union family. My dad was/is a Teamster, and I've yet to see where that has benefited him. He is one of the hardest working people I have ever met, and busts his ass for his company. The only thing he gets in return: they overload him with work and take advantage of the fact that he will just do his job and keep his mouth shut. Meanwhile, the lazy SOB next to him does half the work half ass and makes the same amount of money. There is no reward for hard work in a union, no opportunity for advancement based on performance, only seniority. They use their hard workers, rewarding them with more work while the deadbeats skate and deposit the same check at the end of the week. I love free enterprise, and I love the fact that hard workers succeed and everyone else fails. I love that I can set my own wage, and I love that there is no limit to what I can accomplish. I love not having a boss, and I love not paying someone to negotiate on my behalf with what they feel is in my best interest.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do about taxi.net. The forum is full of good info. It has made me a better taxidermist, a lot better! I've had guys on here tell me my work belonged in a dumpster, and I once had a guy on here offer his condolences to my customers. I've been called an amateur and I've been called a hack. I didn't run, or change my name, or even send a cease and desist PM. I busted my ass, competed in every show within driving distance, read anything I could get my hands on, attended every seminar and workshop I could, listened to every critique and to this day continue to further my education through one on one classes and Taxidermy Association workshops and seminars. I think I was much easier on you than these people were on me. They made me a better taxidermist. Whether or not you decide to become a better taxidermist is up to you.

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Good post.

6. pdmd2911

pdmd2911 Member

Well said Cole, you're right on the money.

7. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Well said Cole!