1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tough deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kyle Lakey, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Amazing what they withstand. Caped this one out today and this is the first time I've seen one like this that wasnt just chunks of bone missing on the head. The skull was busted and had an infection sack the size of ur thumb inside the brain cavity. The new bone you can see in the second pic was fusing back where the skull was busted out but was still slightly loose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. litefeather

litefeather New Member

That's crazy but they are a tough animal. I find all kinds of weird stuff on them.

3. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

I skinned a huge bobcat this year and found out why he was so heavy. Had a shoulder full of buckshot and a rear end full of #8 the guy that brought it to me though killed it with .22 mag!

4. jorgy

jorgy Member

I'll post pictures later. I had a locked set come in yesterday. One deer was alive and one dead when the found them. I would estimate the dead deer had been that way for 4-6 weeks based on the dryness and how wore down the antlers were where they were rubbing. The dead deer had been fed on by coyotes and the live deer had food in his stomach.

5. They are tough, here is one that I took in last year. Skin grew over the antler and had hair growing on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. D.C.O

D.C.O Dreamcatcher Outfitters & Taxidermy

Just had the same thing here last week. infection around the rear antler burr and it had pitted the skull and made its way into the brain cavity. It was nasty to say the least and all the muscle tissue around the skull plate was very red and inflamed.

7. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

I think I would rather have a busted skull and puss sack in my brain or a antler tip stuck in my skull that one of thoase deer bots in my sinuses!!
    Few years back I young guy shot a buck with his bow and it knocked him down, but before he could get to him he jumped and ran. A week later.... he showed back up for a second shot. While capping him I found a scar at the base of his neck and a large hard lump in the neck. The lump had a broadhead in it with a couple of inches of aluminum arrow shaft! It was his fathers from the shot he had the prior year!!
    Yip, tough animals for sure.

8. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

When the guy brought me the deer he said it just about ran him over after he shot it. Shot it on the ground with a ML and when he shot the deer turned and ran right at him, haha musta been lil worrying knowing you have the one shot wonder in your hand and wouldn't be able to reload before it got to you. I didn't know it at the time the buck had this injury and maybe its just coincidence cuz I've had deer almost run me over too but I guess its possible this deer was a bit out of it with the injury and pressure on his brain. If a human had an injury like this they would be pretty messed up but humans are a very week species to say the least.

9. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Saw pics of a deer my buddy did years ago in KY, looks like it got hit by a car, skull was cracked open between antlers and had exposed brain! was chasing does when it was shot!