1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

comp. nose pad

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by pberry, Apr 13, 2007.

1. pberry

pberry Member

are those of you competing rebuilding nodules with mod-podge or something else? at the last comp. my deer's nose pad "lacked texture" but i did rebuild with m.p. any techniques by compition taxidermist would be greatly appreciated. thanks and God bless

2. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Mod Podge is a good choice. You can also texture by putting a layer of clay under the pad, then indent the pad with a modeling tool. These two methods are IMO the most realistic. The other method is using the Dan-D-Noser, but I for one do not like the raspberry look it gives. Good luck and have fun. Mark

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That would have been a great question for the judge that critiqued your deer. Without seeing the nose it's difficult to speculate where the problem was. Some of my reference shows a deer's nose to be nearly smooth, while other photos I have the nodules are very pronounced. Sometimes its a guess as to what that particular judge likes. Modge Podge is an excellent medium for texturing deer noses.

4. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

Get an EZ Nose and rebuild with Modge Podge. For competition I would not use the Dan-D Noser. The judges will pick up on that right away. Get good reference and rebuild the nodules. They are not all the same shape and size like the Dan-D Noser will put in.

5. Just use Modge Podge,

6. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    I second the EZ Nose. Got mine from Mutuska and it is nice. I do every other nodule, let it dry for a while and do the other ones, so they don't run together. Great advice from Cole a few weeks ago. Thanks.

7. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

EZ nose from Paul Borkowski at Blue Ribbon Taxidermy Supply. Works great!

8. MONSTER140

MONSTER140 New Member

ohio
    I use a syringe with a 22 gage needle sometimes to get more pronounced texture you may have to go over it again depending on the thickness of your modge podge. I was also told but I have not tried this yet and that is to use fabric paint. I use this to recreate to little pumps or glands around the lower eye lid. Usualy the bumbs are more defined at the lower section of the nose pad.

9. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

Just finished this one with modge podge.Don't know if it's comp.quality I have never entered one.
    [​IMG]

10. FRANKY

FRANKY New Member

very nice... Wet look and good nodule details...

11. BDT

BDT New Member

There is an excellent article on deer noses by Rick Carter in Breakthrough Magazine Issue 85. There is a lot of good information whether your're doing commercial or competition noses.

12. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

Nice nose Artie

13. muleyhunter

muleyhunter Soulmates, Gods way of saying together forever

Looks great Artie.

14. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

Thanks for the compliments!

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Thanks, wish I had invented it. Simple tool and really works well. If your careful, for commercial work you don't have to skip every other nodule.

16. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    cole it looks like on the right side-deer's left, the nose pad is away from the nostril openeing, not symetrical. you might want to fix that with apoxie scult.