1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blown Out Ears

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by RGP, Apr 13, 2007.

1. RStanton

RStanton New Member

I'm thinking the strecth you got from the dry tan... is because your tanner decided "we better SHAVE this one." I've seen some pretty thick skins come back allegedly "finished" from tanneries.

2. I doubt they have just said I think we should shave this one...with 100% of my capes so far, I'll agree with you I have seen some pure crap come back from tanneries, But the particular one Im using now I have had very nice work from them, Even on my Hogs they are super thin and super clean!

3. RStanton

RStanton New Member

Well, everyone's experience is different, but i have to admit to being a big fan of wet tans... but dry tans that are sweated correctly do stretch just fine-- I just don't like to do the extra work. I also don't like rolling the dice on tanneries trying to find a good one. I'll be doing my own tanning until it's no longer practical to do so.

4. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

Not a blown out ear just a stupid hunter that tried to poke a hole in the ear to attach his licence (herein PA we have to do that) and cut through the ear then tried again and cut through it again, then on the 3rd try finaly got his hole. So that was fun to trun and get the cartilage out of, when I had 2 1 1/2 inch slices and a 1 inch hole.
    [​IMG]

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

An I'll never buy into that crap about a dry tan stretching more than a wet tan. I grew up with dry tans as the "only" method available. If it was that good, a wet tan would never have been invented. J.Best, I always cringe when someone justifies a statement with an email from "a VERY reputable tannery". Tanners are no different from taxidermists and when it comes to "reputations", it's simply a matter of "preferences" instead of supporting facts. I know several VERY reputable taxidermists who never use ear liners, but it has nothing to do with whether I agree with either their logic or their methods.