1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Coffee Table?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Slate Run, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Had a customer call about doing a couple of bears. One he wants as a half mount. No problem. The other he asked about laying on its back with feet in air to hold a pc. of glass for a coffee table. Is there a form out there for that and if so where? Not really sure what to charge for something like that. Said the bear was probably less than 100 lbs. still going to be lifesize price but don't know if I should charge more for something like that. Any advise?

2. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I do not know of a form made for a table. I would think a plane standing form modify the head and legs a bit and flatten out the back.
    Ralph

3. I would charge more because you're going to have to modify it, and find a piece of glass.
    Cosider the time it takes to modify it, and the cost of the glass, and charge accordingly.

Would love to see photos when it's done. :)

4. RageofAnath

RageofAnath Will make art for money or dead things.

A bear coffee table sounds really interesting. I have to see this!

5. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

There used to be a coffee table on the market just like what you are talking about. It was a sculpture of a small bear on it's back holding the glass on it's paws. You might be able to find a picture of it somewhere. Edit: found one for sale at Christie's the one pictured is listed at $14,000. Guess you could charge at least half of that. ;)

Attached Files:

6. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Let them get their own glass! If you supply it and there's an accident of any kind, YOU will be the one held responsible! 100 pound bear, roughly 3 1/2 foot long, $1800. Adding for form modification and a base under it for stability $700-$1000. Nothing difficult there, and easy three day job, tops.

7. Vellu

Vellu New Member

Like this ones?

Attached Files:

• 187.jpg
      187.jpg
      File size:
      33.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Allie

Allie Active Member

Maybe you could put the glass on the back paws and use the front ones for cup holders.

9. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i like vellu's mount

10. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Thanks for the input. Customer said he would get the glass. Was thinking on the lines of what rbear said and use a standing form and modify. Just thought I'd check and see if there was a form out there for this. Didn't think there was. Thanks again

11. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Be sure to order the mannikin WITHOUT leg rods! No rods = less headaches when it comes time to alterations. Not 'NO' headaches ... just less. Good luck to you! ;)

12. x