1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Info on Krotann

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Terry V, Apr 13, 2007.

1. I know that this subject has been beat to death, but I was thinking of switching to Krotann. I was wondering if it is as good as everyone says?

2. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    Yeah, it's so easy to use it's scary. I've done about 50 deer, some coon, and a bobcat with it and have never had a problem. I really don't know why anyone would use anything else.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Terry, what are you using now?

Since I've been around so long, I'm always wary of a new product. Krowtann may well be the best thing since sliced bread (and I do know about buying unsliced bread as well), but IMHO, the clock hasn't moved enough to judge on it yet. I still think it's nothing more than what we called a "pickle tan" and mounts done with that process, historically disintegrated within 10 to 15 years. Maybe with the good glues and products we have that won't happen with Krowtann and I'm gonna be their biggest cheerleader. Still, if I had a process that worked, I wouldn't change because of what a few people say about a new product that hasn't passed the test of time yet.

4. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Krowtann was developed over 20 years ago. Why is it referred to as "new"?

5. Dont know how good it is, but I plan on giving it a try soon. My things is, how well will krowtann work if Kemsol or Blood Eater and things of the such are added to it, will it accept these things or will you get bad resultd from doing so.

6. George

livebucks, where was it "developed 20 years ago"??? I just became a market item in the last 5 or 6 under that name.

7. livbucks

PM Ozark Woods and ask 'em. I didn't make it up. I figured you'd know that, being around so long plus change as sliced bread.

8. George

It may well have been created 20 years ago, but Brian and I had some very contentious conversations when it initially hit the market, only about 5 or 6 years back. He admitted to adding some porprietary ingredients to the mix and I hope that they negate the effects of what the old "pickle tan" did in years gone by.

9. livbucks

I'm still searching, but here is one quote. I will find more.

10. George

That's exactly what I said Livbucks. If it's truly a pickle tan, it may be closer to 100 years.

11. I've used JRTS creme for about 10 years now. I've just heard so much about the Krowtann, that I thought about giving it a try.

12. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

It is funny how we have a Krowtann post nearly every day. The same people saying the same thing about it each time. I think we need a Krowtann category on here!

13. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Terry.. the first thing you will find after reading the directions is that you have no control over the process. The part I love NOT is just nuetralize longer if you dont like the stretch. At what point will the hair fall out because of over nuetralizing. Apparently all the tannerys are wrong in thinking that Ph matters. We tan in shop because we insist on having control over all that we possibly can. Seems to have eliminated all the problems I keep seeing on these forums. If what you do aint broke leave it be.

14. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I'm not sure what all this control over the process matters if the end product is a tanned hide? Since I gave up Ph test strips, and pickle baths, etc, I guess I have less control over the process, and more time to be doing other things.

15. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

the people who continually run down krowtann havent tried it - sounds like liberals to me -

16. George

Terry, now where would you get that harebrained idea? I'VE TRIED IT! Now it you want to sound like the revisionists historian LIBERAL, you are well on your way. Brian assures me that he's added ingredients to the mix that ARE NOT in the old mold of the "pickle tans" and I sincerely hope that he's correct. All I implied was my reluctance to reinventors of the wheel. I know what the PAST record was and that gives me reason for caution. Any WISE person would be effected the same way.

17. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Terry I have tried it too. I have several reasons for not liking it, Im glad it makes you happy.

18. I am an ez100 fan. But I tried two weeks ago on two whitetails. One is mounted and one is not. I did not get the wonderful stretch that everybody cheers about. I did get a nice looking white tan. But it wasn't enough to make me switch totaly. I get more stretch with ez100 than I did with KT. I wasn't about to reneutrilize it to try and get more either. I may use it on small critters in place of dp though.

19. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Tried it, been there done that, Pressure tanning also, got rid of that too. I've tried every new Idea that comes along in this business, and I have to say the old saying about" IF IT AINT BROKE DON"T FIX IT" is very true. Everybody is always trying to come up with some shortcut in this business, and that is EXACTLY what they are a SHORT CUTS. Do yourself a favor and stay on the well traveled road.

20. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I understand that to a point, but if I took that literally, I would get my old Northwestern School of Taxidermy books out and get rid of the newer videos. I like preparing my hides, and putting them in just ONE solution, with no PH to worry about, and getting a nice white tan with good stretch. That ain't broken to me, but I understand everyone has thei own way of doing things.