1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why So Many Different Tanning Systems

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by theguyyouknowtaxidermy, Dec 13, 2011.

1. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Military Toughened me up that way too..............It's fun to rag each other as long as it doesn't get on a personal level and its kept in good nature.........
    Welcome to the world of Taxidermy!
    and Happy Holidays........

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I bought 9 diff. " tans" and finished them out. I pickled all but KT. I even finished out a pickled, but not tanned piece of the hide. Side by side there is no difference except for the VD tan'um creates a blue colored hide and the pickled only one. Side by side there is a difference between the pickled only one and the KT one. I believe that KT does a little more than JUST pickle. How much more I don't know, however, I don't see how it could possibly be a complete tan.

3. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

but for what we do as taxidermist IT WORKS, and that is all I care about. can I use this product to create a mount that the customer will keep coming back? Yes! That is good enough for me.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Look guy you came on here stating "facts"that that were quite simply WRONG. Usually the "Beginner"section is protected but then you started changing your tune. Originally it had NOTHING to do with that last post. For your information William Hornaday mounted incredible specimen with pickle tans. They eventually disintegrated. Henry Wichers Inchemuk is still on a class by himself with small mammals. He uses denatured alcohol. Sam Touchstone swore by dry preservative. Georgia taxidermist and supplier won several state competitions with his dry preservative dissolved in the 50/50 denatured alcohol/water.

Now this isn't parochial school. We are all artists to some degree but damned opinionated. I and a few others have more months than you have posts. Now guess how you not liking how we post goes over? You want everyone to blow roses up your butt you won't have a very good time here.

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Beat the dead horse

6. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

George, there is a difference from being opinionated and being a forum bully. George you are well talented and know how to orientate yourself on paper. I do not know if you know or not but you come across most of the time as a bully. When new guys get on here and try to learn and you show up throwing your muscle around it scares people off. I am guilty of doing things in the same manor and not being aware of it, it is natural we are all human. but now that it has been brought to your attention you might want to think if about what you say. I am sure you are set in your ways and have valid opinions when it comes to taxidermy. I can tell you are a talented guy but if you think to yourself before you hit the post tab and say " is this post really helping the guy that created it?". I mean that is what this section of this forum is all about right?

7. TD

Looks like a whole lot of babbleing to Me with No point made.........
    And here We go again with the roses lol..........

8. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

The funny part is that we are not even talking about the original post of why there are so many different tanning systems. Ha Ha

9. TD

Looks to Me like Mr Hornaday's mounts lasted quit a while untill they were stored away after Seventy years and neglected.....................
    http://www.fortbenton.com/museums/hornaday.html

10. George

Tom you're a lot like my bowel obstruction: you go away for a few months and no one notices. Then you have a flare up of bleeding heart and come whining back. You really should look up a few more results on Hornaday.

Guy I see you're in denial about your initial post. If you see me as a "bully" its likely the result of you looking for someone to blame after having been called out for posting incorrect information. I wonderhow you'll manage dealing in the real world of 'bully" customers

11. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

What information was put out that was incorrect? Oh and I can handle my own.

12. TD

George ....................I recall you saying how predictable I was but you are even more predictable because that is exactly the reply that I would expect from you............Read it again and tell yourself how mature it is ..........
    Bet it took you a while to think that one up lol ................

13. George

I haven't figured out how to copy and paste on my Droid buy you stated there were 3no methods of preserving. You only listed two. Krowtann is a pickle by chemical pH. The paint ons are preservative tans by their chemical pH. Professional tans Israel "all of the above" to achieve lasting and better results. Professional tanneries stay busy because discriminating taxidermists demand those results.

Now Tom just so I font avoid you ignorance, ill give you the chance to have the last word, because to be perfectly honest, you tend to bore hell out of me.

14. Re: Re: Why So Many Different Tanning Systems

Damned autocorrect stole your thunder

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I'll never understand why just because someone disagrees with a certain method that others have used successfully, that someone goes on a tirade against that product and starts in with the personal attacks at the drop of a hat for no apparent reason. If you don't like something, so what. Why be a jerk about it. I noticed when several people described why they believe there's a difference between krowtann and a pickle, and their reasons why, nobody disputed it. Instead the personal attacks ensued. I guess I'm setting myself up for attacks now so if I offended anyone, sorry.

16. TD

Now Tom just so I font avoid you ignorance, ill give you the chance to have the last word, because to be perfectly honest, you tend to bore hell out of me.

George............You may need to re write this one because I dont have a clue what you are trying to say ??? ??? ???
    I assume your saying I'm ignorant.................
    ................And by the way............ I'm only just starting to bore you ..........it will get worse as You progress ;D

boarhunter................you are exactly right......

17. TD

You know ..............You would think that after all these years of being told by so many good people that visit this site that Your manner is very undesirable sort of say.............YOU would get the message and stop acting out this way?.............
    I just can't believe that you actually communicate to people this way George............
    What do they call people that act this way? ...........Sociopath..........
    Good thing you don't work at the post office...........

18. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

oh this is all too funny............... but any ways. ..................... I just want to say thanks to everybody that posted their knowledge and opinions. I did learn from the information that was put out. I am not offended in any way. I just know that we all can get together and share our knowledge and different methods of approach to this fun game that we call taxidermy in a fun and competitive manor.

19. L Jay

L Jay New Member

I am also new to this website...there are several things I have noticed....one, everyone has their own opinion....and two....everyone seems to think their opinion is correct. I also agree with Boarhunter about the fights. I have noticed in several post that there are several "fights" over what is right and what is wrong. I am no expert on Taxidermy, since I am just starting out...and came here hoping to get some information from people, but i am afraid to post anything, cause someone will come outta the woodwork and say the wrong thing, and there will be 12 pages of comments about NOTHING to do with the original post.
    I say, if you think you are right, then fine, but its not a strait "a + b = c" in this hobby. There are several ways of doing things, and constant changes with the times. State what you know, and if someone says different, then fine....LET IT GO. no need to get personal, hateful, or spitefull. Really turns newbies off from asking questions cause of the fighting and bickering back and forth. Its really just a waste of time. No one is going to change your mind if you think you are right. Its like asking someone about politics....starts debates, and to some people that is really annoying.

I have the utmost respect for everyone in here.
    lol, cant we all just get along?!?!

20. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

I am with you L Jay