1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My 1st WhiteTail Deer Ever! pics

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by sclack, Dec 13, 2011.

1. sclack

sclack New Member

This Is my very first time ever mounting anything. I wanted to give it a shot. So I Bought some DVDs and used this website for so pointers. So then I went to work I Caped it out and bought every thing to do the mount. The Fleshing was kinnd of a pain. The tanning went well. alot of blood and Sweat and Beer ;D Went in to this so far. I Just finished tucking and sewing it up and took som Pics.. Its my cousins First Buck So im Mounting it for his Christmas gift. He wanted a Aggressive look so i got the 64d manikin from McKenzies we liked the way it looked. I had a lot of fun trying it and hope to mount some more. And learned alot as well. Any tips on what kind of paint to use after it is ready to finish out ? water or lacquer. Let Me know what yall think
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok here is the new pics after the tips and suggestions. Thanks For all the help Guys all tips were great and helped me. They are bondo ears. The things i did
    1. Adjusted the ears back for the aggressive look
    2. Adjusted the upper eye lids up
    3. Groomed the hair down
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. To me, the ears don't say aggressive. Try putting them back, I think it'll really add to your mount. :)
    The ear butts also look extended a bit too much.
    Something about the eye shape looks off too.

Here's some aggressive poses i found in a google search:
    http://www.taxidermy.net/images/a-carter-aggressive.jpg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/RonCoulter/IMG_2937.jpg

3. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

I'm blinded by that red shirt!!! As Rhas said, the ear positioning is off, plus lack of ear bases. Can't really see the eyes to well, but the shape appears to be to closed and off.. Keep at it, you have the basics down, now study the references to improve the detail...

Tom

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Every body has a first deer ; sounds like you had fun great job !

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Always will remember the first.

6. kuhof

kuhof New Member

Wish I had a picture of the aggressive ears my first had..... Man was she aggressive! ;)

7. The ears are defiantly in the wrong position for an aggressive deer. Check your eye shape also, looks like the front corner of the upper lid needs to be lifted looks like a lot of clay in that eye work. Something about the ear shape itself does not look right either maybe the tipp of the ears are not bent back, are they bondo ears?

You are also going to want to groom the hair down not back.

All in all not to bad for your first. Keep at it and get some pointers from your states association they are more than willing to help you along.

8. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    The grooming of the neck and shoulders should be brushed down not back. This purpose is that the hair repels water. Not that the mount will be outside but in real life situations.

9. sclack

sclack New Member

Just Posted New pics up top with the fixes thanks

10. Wow that grooming made a huge difference! Definitely looks aggressive now!

11. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Shove the ear in to the clay more and bring the ear butts up close er to the antler. Nose pad off to the deers right side, To much clay in upper eye lid.

12. Here is my interpretation of what an aggressive buck looks like when he side steps towards another deer. Notice the white showing in the opposite eye from the way his head is turned. That is what they do most of the time just before they fight or run another buck off. Get some good referance pics and study them well. The grooming helped alot but the eyes and ears are still off. Don't give up on it with just little more tweaking you will get the proper posture and look of an aggressive buck.
    Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

13. sclack

sclack New Member

ok ill play with it some more when i get home from work and try to get that look that ccook63 posted i think thats the pic i need thanks for the post ccook63 and teaching i need it lol ill post some pics tonight

14. Sclack , To me it looks like you have the ears on the back of the head. Look at the deer picture that was just posted see how the ears are a little more on the side of the head then yours and up close to the antler bur . I know you are not going to want to do it but if it was me I would take the stitches out and start over on them ears . Cut some foam out also so you get your ears a little closer to the head also . The eyes are what makes any mount look good and yours are still way off . I am wondering if you got them turned all the way out . Go to the tutorials and look for basic primer for whitetail eyes clay work by George Roof . Think this will help you on your eyes and give you a idea on how close your ears should be to the head . Gary P.S. nose pad looks off to one side also but could be just the picture .

15. Chris H

Chris H New Member

Its a first. I think it looks like a first. The important thing is the experience you gained in doing it. I was given this advice one time, do not try to take a forth place car to first place. You will only blow up the motor or wreck the car. Now you know what needs to be done different with the next one. Congratulations on getting through it.